One more thing.... Delta vs Delta x5

Folks -

I can't figure it out.... what is the difference between Delta's "X5" line of tools and regular old delta? Or is regular old delta going away and become delta x5?? Are there now two "flavors" of Unisaw (power and tilt notwithstanding) I'm confused, and probably not the first to notice...

Any input would be welcomed, almost.... heheheh

John Moorhead

Reply to
john moorhead

John, the X5 is a marketing program. It is Delta's core group of equipment and is being promoted with special incentives and savings. Sort of like when Delta had the "white Unisaw" and "the Norm edition unisaw" and etc. There is basically no difference in the actual piece of equipment. God luck, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

According to our local big tool dealer "The only difference is the five year warranty." Haven't read the warranty because I haven't bought a _new_ Delta tool in sometime. Be sure to read it carefully so you don't end up like some Ridgid owners who didn't bother.

An inspection of the new top of the line, 14" bandsaw on the showroom floor a few weeks backs did not prove the above statement correct, which would personally make me proceed with caution regarding Delta's new, unfamiliar, model numbering.

Reply to
Swingman

X5 now have a 5 year warranty. the new bandsaw has some worthwhile improvements, but the equipment with the X5 designation is the same Delta stuff you know and love (or hate).

dave

john moorhead wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

so what did you notice about the bandsaw?

dave

Sw> According to our local big tool dealer "The only difference is the five year

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

The differences are... (I'll contrast to the 14" limited edition 299A, since it is most comparable to the new X5).

1) The table is larger than the 14" Ltd ed by 2" in both directions (like their older models).

2) The spring handles (wrench-like handles) for making trunnion tilt adjustments, instead of star knobs. I see no big advantage here (easier on hands when cinching down the adjustment?)

3) Hole cut in bottom of casting and door which falls into a diagnonal chute, which goes to a 4" dust port in back of the base... Is this better or worse than the old one?

4) Quick tension release.

Whats the same ? Same 3450 RPM 1.5 HP motor (its the same motor used in their contractor saw). Same rigid rail mounting system in the base, except base has only one door on right instead of 1 on both sides...

I could probably get the bigger table to put on mine (its the same basic tool), and then I believe it would be better than the X5. I prefer the dust collection in front by the blade. I have a modified Delta dust hookup made for the 4" hose. I think it works pretty well. I also think for this tool you NEED the link belt. My belt looked great but it had a set in it and made the tool actually sway when it ran. The link belt eliminated all movement.

Reply to
David Binkowski