One more question...

Sure, I know that. A little online research showed polycarbonate to be exceptionally strong, so I'm trying to find some place local to me in Toronto that has it.

Reply to
Upscale

in the US, only outside patio table glass tops are tempered. normal dining room tabletops are almost never tempered. i've never run into one, never heard of one, and i've cut up a lot of them. for that matter, would you want a dining tabletop to shatter if you dropped a knife on the edge? i tend to doubt it.

Reply to
charlie

midwest) and see what they have for entertainment centers. Assuming you are talking about standard width receiver, then standard width entertainment centers should have standard width glass (around

21-1/2"). It's likely that they can sell you replacement glass for a given model of entertainment center. If the glass is a little narrow, then trim the left and right edges with wood. Just an idea.... doesn't cost more than a couple of phone calls.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

I ended up buying a full sheet of tinted 3/8" acrylic. Once the total square footage of shelving exceeded 50% of a 4x8 sheet, it was cheaper to just buy the full sheet. I asked about lexan and the salesman was confident that the acrylic would support my 50 pound receiver with the dimensions that I gave him. Total cost including cutting, and polishing of the front side of the shelf sections with taxes included was $339.00. Not cheap, but considerably cheaper than the lexan would have been and most certainly lighter than glass would have been.

Reply to
Upscale