One Man Saw - Red Green

Page 1 of 2
I suppose some of you have seen this, but it's worth a rerun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRg8rJUXwQc

Sonny

Cute concept, but...
Man, I had forgotten just how bad TV had gotten. Laughtracks, silly noises, 500 channels of noise, and 27-minutes/hour of commercials. What's to like?
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling
On 11/15/2010 5:16 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

what's to like?? the fact that the shows are funny and entertaining. sometimes even educational (myth busters) don't like commercials?? Then get a fukkin dvr and learn to use it.
--
Steve Barker
[snipped for effect]

But whatcha gonna do when you get all those books coloured?
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:05:27 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Build a CNC crayon-eraser, _that's_ what.
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Larry, me thinks you are trying to take Red too seriously.
Loosen up.
RonB
On 11/16/2010 10:42 AM, RonB wrote:

I haven't seen Red's show in a few years, but I thought he was funny. Reminds me a little of the writing of Patrick McManus who has written several books of short stories and used to write a column for Field & Stream magazine. I think Mr. McManus was a "Youper" (sp) though.
In high school, someone sitting next to me asked "Is it really that funny?", to which I had to answer "Yes!" : )
Bill

Whether or not the guy is funny, TV makes it an unenjoyable couple of minutes. I hadn't remembered how bad a brain rotter it was since I quit watching -ANY- TV about 3-1/2 years ago.
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling
On 11/17/10 6:34 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ok, Larry, we get it, you don't watch TV. Now quit saying it in every stinkin thread. :-p
--

-MIKE-

She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol And I was just a soldier on my way to Montreal Well she pressed her chest against me About the time the juke box broke Yeah, she gave me a peck on the back of the neck And these are the words she spoke
[Chorus:] Blow up your TV throw away your paper Go to the country, build you a home Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches Try an find Jesus on your own
Well, I sat there at the table and I acted real naive For I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve Well, she danced around the bar room and she did the hoochy-coo Yeah she sang her song all night long, tellin' me what to do
[Chorus]
Well, I was young and hungry and about to leave that place When just as I was leavin', well she looked me in the face I said "You must know the answer." "She said, "No but I'll give it a try." And to this very day we've been livin' our way And here is the reason why
We blew up our TV threw away our paper Went to the country, built us a home Had a lot of children, fed 'em on peaches They all found Jesus on their own
(John Prine)

Is that bit true?!
"David Paste" wrote:

Is that bit true?! ---------------------------- Actually it's closer to 23 minutes of program and 7 minutes of commercials out of every 30 minutes.
What is truly frustrating is that every station is synchronized with every other station so that the all run commercials at the same time.
You can't escape.
Lew

Easy to DVR though... BUT! Nothing is more frustrating and annoying than the pledge drives on PBS. You get lulled into a nice program and then they make while they work every conceivable angle to pull a few bucks out of your pocket...fukkum.. Kroft left them a billion, what? Is all that money gone ?
On 11/16/10 6:37 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Generally they only have shows I might watch during the pledge drives. Outside of TOH and ATOH and a couple cooking shows Saturday afternoons, there isn't much that interests me.
--
Froz...

Hey, at least you aren't held to ransom by a bloody TV license!
"Robatoy" wrote:

than the pledge drives on PBS. You get lulled into a nice program and then they make while they work every conceivable angle to pull a few bucks out of your pocket...fukkum.. Kroft left them a billion, what? Is all that money gone ? -------------------------------- Say, "Thank you President Reagan".
Just one more example of a trickle down screw job of the masses.
Lew

Just as bad as de-funding that "pinko" public broadcasting, the relaxed ownership rules leave us with about three huge conglomerates owning most of the broadcast outlets has stifled any sort of creative or local radio... which feeds the vapidity of what now passes for music. Excuse me, make that "product."
Pre de-reg, ownership was limited to a handful of AM, FM, and TV stations. Can't remember the limits now, but I seem to recall three of each, and no more than two in combination in any market. Today, you'll have any number of stations under common ownership operating out of the same studios and offices. It may make sense to combine some operations -- sales, for instance -- but having one jock cutting voice tracks for multiple stations, or even multiple stations in multiple markets, ensures "uniform and consistent mediocrity."
Not even sure it enhances shareholder value, no matter what Ronnie's ideological successors tell us. And combining operations has failed to save newspapers... circulation continues to shrink, the "news hole" and ad revenues with it. It's not just a matter of another technology (i.e., the intenet) overmhelming print and broadcast. When you "cut to the bone" too severely, the patient can die.
No long range thinking -- and in the case of Ron, no thinking beyond the next nap.

*snip*
You've noticed that too? I don't even listen to local radio any more, except for Cubs games, because the mix is too boring. If I find a radio station that plays something I like, they usually repeat the same 4 hour block again (just in case I missed it.) I could do a better job with a MP3 player set on "Random."
Puckdropper

Steve wrote:

Ah, but the other side of the coin is that YOU can start a broadcast station without a lot of red-tape, hearings, public-necessity, community support, anti-competitive complaining by established stations, etc.
Actually, the barrier to entry for an FM station is in the few tens of thousands of dollars range. You can even subscribe to a station feed from aggregators. That is, there is one company that determines the playlist and feeds the results to any number of subscribers. It's likely that the exact same music is going out, at the exact same time, to fifty stations around the country.
In my town, Houston, there is ONE classical broadcast station and it's a PBS affiliate (spit). I assume there is not another because it would not be economically viable.
But who knows?

Ah! That got me, but the TV of the states does have a rep for such advertising. The synchronised advert thing is also present here, which is irritating, but luckily I have a magic box to overcome such short- term discomfort. I haven't really watched broadcast TV 'live' for years. It's too painful. Especially seeing as the ads are badly tailored to the channel / programme, and double especially since The Discovery Channel started airing ads for everyone's least favourite space-opera based crackpot cult.