one file handle done

I made one file handle and used 3/4 copper pipe for the ferrule. But now it looks too nice to throw in the toolbox but I did anyway

I got it pretty close on the lathe but to get the final fit I used

180 sandpaper so the ferrule just barely fit.

Drilled the first hole to match the small end of the file then drilled part way with a bit that was a little smaller than the wide end.

Held the file in one hand and beat on the other with my carving mallet. This was a small flat metal file. 1/2" wide and 10" or so

Sprayed it with a few coats of lacquer and all's well

I stood out in the sun and sprayed all 3 coats quickly rotating the handle for quick drying and no running.

Reply to
Electric Comet

Ah... come on. You have to post a picture of that for us.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I halfway expected to see some adventures in metal spinning to make your ferrules.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Don't hold your breath I have a nice camera but I barely use it for it's intended purpose let alone anything else. I do need to do better at this though. I may sell on etsy so will have to take more. Doing it well takes time

Reply to
Electric Comet

Well you're not far off the mark here, I found some examples of wood jam chucks for touching up ferrules. An inside jam chuck I guess it'd be I may do that some day just to dress up the ferrule

Reply to
Electric Comet

If you get the ring just to tight - won't slip on - that is perfect. Heat the ring - it expands and slip it on. It will cool and compress the fit. Might have colors on it, might want to polish them out.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

BTW I think they used to use heat to set a file in a handle. A little heat at a time, push, remove, more heat, push, remove.

That's what I remember seeing somewhere about old time handles.

Reply to
woodchucker

Sounds reasonable. Have you done this?

Reply to
Electric Comet

I've done it and it works pretty well. You don't get a large amount of expansion, but they sure fit tight when you are done.

Reply to
clare

Some old shovel handles were "pyro-set" or "fire-fit"

Reply to
clare

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 11:31:28 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrot e:

Similarly, I recall, when working offshore (college days), we'd have to cha nge the brass bushing in the top pulley of the crane. We'd keep the bushi ng in the freezer, for it to shrink, a tad, allowing for better installing into the tight "ring" of the pulley. Once installed and it warms up (expan d), it would further snug itself onto/inside the pulley wheel.

The concept has been around for ages.

Pic of a (brass?) bushing inside the pulley wheel:

ml

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Does it burn the wood? If it did and I think it would then I would not want to do so.

Reply to
Electric Comet

Mom mom did it backwards, using hot water to get the metal lid off of the peanut butter jar! : )

Reply to
Bill

It will only burn the wood if the ring is too hot. For dry wood, think about 450F max and you are fine.

Reply to
clare

Yes - nice to have a old convection oven in the shop for shop work. I cook welding rods and cook rings to fit metal and wood. On metal, the inside part is cooled and the outside is heated. Metal - Slip it down a shaft and then into a ring area - trapped ring.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Mom did it right - the lid is a CUP. Cup expands and the threads loosen.

Rods get hot and lengthen and shrink in diameter.

Balls (bearings) get hot and get larger, but a close fitting ring will expand faster. - an old Physics lesson. Linear expansion of the ring and cubic expansion of the ball.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

You don't' need to get it to burning temp!

3-400 degrees F is all that is needed. Maybe less. Boiling water is likely enough.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

My mom wouldn't have got that at all. Her idea of a "ring" and yours, are altogether different, but I enjoyed it! : )

Reply to
Bill

It'll burn my fingers tho I always go the simple route, well not always but I strive lathe->little sanding->repeat until it almost fits i also added a slight chamfer to the ferrule lip inside

the wood was very dry too

Reply to
Electric Comet

will stay the course of the simple route lathe->sand->repeat

Reply to
Electric Comet