ON Topic ;) - Wine Bottle Storage Dimensions

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone have a list of recommended dimensions for storing wine bottles of various sizes: 375 ml, 750ml, 1.5 l, and possibly even Champagne. I am trying to concoct my own wine storage system and want to see if my estimated cubbyhole sizes align with other people's experiences...

This site seems pretty reasonable: http://www.winerackshop.com/dimensions.htm They have an online rack designer, too: http://www.winerackshop.com/designer.htm
Mon, Jan 7, 2008, 2:32pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com (TimDaneliuk) doth come in and waonder: Does anyone have a list of recommended dimensions for storing wine bottles of various sizes: 375 ml, 750ml, 1.5 l, and possibly even Champagne. I am trying to concoct my own wine storage system and want to see if my estimated cubbyhole sizes align with other people's experiences...
Where do you people come from? Do it like everyone else. Make your 'cubbyholes' all the same size, large enough to hold the largest bottle you expect to store. You can always put a small bottle in a large space, but you've got to grease the living Hell out of a large bottle to get it into a small space. You wants to store a few even larger bottles, make a small, separate cabinet for them. If you want the cubbyholes sized to the bottles, make separate cabinets for each. Did you bother googling? You could always buy your Ripple by the case, then just stack the cases.
I used to be enthralled with different wines. But now I've got it figured out. Champagne is sour wine. Most of the others are too expensive. I finally figured it out. All you need is one wine you like, and stick with it. So now, when I drink wine it is just one imported wine - Mother Vinyard's Scuppernong Wine. It's imported fom Virginia. Good stuff. I buy it by the bottle, and store it in the fridge.
JOAT You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up all night.
On Jan 7, 7:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Nice to know you don't have to buy the wine by the cup full any more! :)~
I think we both missed Tim's cry for help in convincing SWMBO that the large quantity of bottles coming into his house full, and leaving empty, are purely for woodworking research purposes. Don't back down, Tim! Be a man and sneak the bottles in like the rest of us do. ;)
RicodJour wrote:

You a guys are all weak. My SWMBO *sells* booze and wine - I get mine free or at a discount ... and she tells me we don't have anywhere near enough in "storage".
P.S. She does NOT have a sister ... well not a single one anyway.
Bwhahahahahahaha

Without a doubt the most cunning intro to a gloat I've ever read. Well done (ya bastid!). ;)
RicodJour wrote:

<Takes a bow and waits for further laurels...>

That's right. He needs to do his research:
- Buy - Measure - Drink - Measure again (but pay more attention to the first measurement)
RonB
RonB said:

Well, that's close, but you left out the market research portion. Bottles may vary by region. You must try Leibfraumilches, Merlots, Chardonnays and even a few African wines in order to insure all bottles will fit. I'll drink to that...
Greg G.
J T said:

An old roommate used to buy hers by the box. Wine in a bag in a box. Real connoisseur stuff. ;-) She was a nice young lady though, one of the last I've known. And one of the few native Georgia women I would have dated. Ah, well...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Actually, this is one of the best possible ways to serve wine. You can dispense it by the glass, and it has minimal exposure to oxygen so it lasts a long time once opened.
Like metal screw-top caps, this is one of those things that wine snobs dislike but are real technological advances.
Chris
Chris Friesen said:

You have a point, although my primary critique was the wine itself more so than the method of packaging. Chacun son got.
Greg G.
"Greg G." wrote

Leon and I have developed an absolute, fail safe, method of determining the quality of any red wine.
In an appropriate wine glase, we add the wine, then carefully dip and swirl a BlueBell 'Sugar Free'[ grape popsicle therein ... if your mouth waters:
chacun, un got !
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Swingman said:

New one on me. I suppose that on a sweltering Houston August day that would taste pretty good. They don't sell BlueBell popsicles here (named, I assume, after the state flower) and I'm not too sure I want to lick anything Leon has had in his mouth. You did say one glass and one popsicle. :-)
But I had better watch what I say. Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.
Greg G.

The state flower is actually the Bluebonnet.
Scott Zrubek said:

My bad. I suppose my memory was blurred by their abundance last time I was in Texas. At least I got the "Blue" part correct.
Greg G.
Somebody wrote:
> An old roommate used to buy hers by the box.

Think 2 Buck Chuck or better yet, check out the 99 cent store.
Lew
Lew Hodgett said:

OK, Lew, I draw the line at anything worse than Boones Farm Mountain Apple. And what is a 2 Buck Chuck? Sounds like slang for Krystals - or a reference to what happens after you eat there. Although I guess that would be a 2 Buck Upchuck. Or has the economy taken such a downward turn that you're shopping for Sterno and handkerchiefs again? I didn't know you could buy alcohol at the dollar store... ;-)
Greg G.
"Greg G." wrote:

Charles Shaw, a California wine.
Guy who owns the winery just loves to piss off the Northern CA vineyards, so it retails for $1.99/bottle, and he is making money.
Am told it is pretty good stuff.
May or may not be available in your area.
Check Trader Joes, if you have one.

The 99 cent store chain is strictly a SoCal outfit and is a different operation than the Dollar Stores which are also in SoCal.
99 cent is strictly a liquidator type operation.
If they can make money at 99 cents, they will figure out a way to sell it.
SFWIW, eggs have had large price increases so 99 cent now sells a 6 pack of eggs for 99 cents which becomes $2/dozen or about 2/3 the supermarket price.
As for the 99 cent, understand it ain't bad.
I don't partake of the grape, we agree to disagree.
Lew
Lew Hodgett said:

OK - now it makes sense.

We have one. Carol goes there, I'll have her check it out. I can afford to gamble 2 bucks to help out a fellow antagonist. ;-)

Figured it was something like that. Haven't been to SoCal in 4 years, 2 years for the Sierra Nevada mountains. Nice weather down there in LaLa land, but the cost of land and water is too rich for my blood. Then there's the SA fault line. I know folks in Santa Barbara and LA.

Not much for me either. Sometimes years. Much more so when hunting for wemmens, although the demographics have changed for the worse around here and hardly worth the effort. I'm still trying to get over the state run liquor stores in New Hampshire - at the freeway rest stops no less. They do a booming business and stock quite a wide variety. I just had to stop and look it over. nothing like that here in The Belt:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/images/NH_LiquorStore.jpg
FWIW,
Greg G.