On topic post- going to the "candy store" today

Well, my lovely wife and I are finally getting the chance to buy our dining room table. I was able to get a day off to celebrate my birthday from last month. For a variety of reasons my real job just seemed to take precedence over my play time but today looks like it will happen. I have been working on 8 cherry chairs for our dining area and we are going to a small mill near Paula's sister's house in Hagerstown, MD to pick out the cherry for the table. I figure that while I'm there I'll spend the next three or four birthday's worth of gift money on whatever else looks appealing. That's all for now folks,, let's hope the van makes it to and from. Marc

There's nothing quite like cherry. We have a fair bit of it in our house and just love the stuff. I do appreciate the beauty of many of the exotics, but to work with it, cherry just seems to respond to my attempts at woodworking better than anything else..with the possible exception of poplar, but that stuff is not attractive. Cherry ages so well too, it gets better and better looking as the stuff get older.
Picking the boards and then, with anticipation, planing them down to have them reveal the surprises, is as good as dorking gets.
Memo to self.....>> make time for that.

Would that place be Hicksville Planning Mill in Clear Spring? I have had nothing but good luck and good prices there. Too bad my talent doesn't match the quality of the raw material!
Ed

Hello Ed, Yes, it is Hicksville and I am amazed, overwhelmed, and without a lot less money after the trip. I only planned to get enough cherry for a table (waste factor included) and pick up some oak for another project but I spent 2 hours picking through stacks and just looking around. Ended up with more than 200 bdft of both species and I'm looking forward to spending a good bit of the weekend locked in my basement. Are you sure your talent is not that good? I bet you do better than you think. Also, I really liked their turned laminated rolling pins for sale in the sales office.
Marc