On Topic: Memorial Day

I wanted to take a minute and thank all those that served or are serving our United States of America. A very special thanks indeed, for those that have made the extra sacrifices that soldiers are called upon to make.

This year I am putting my money where my mouth is on this deal. Myself and some like minded folks in our local cigar club are hosting a barbecue for the Wounded Warriors, past and present, veterans from any branch, and of course for those currently serving.

I have been put in charge of the whole affair, and we are hoping to earn at least a couple of thousand in donations. It has been a real challenge, as volunteers are kind of mysterious about committing, but in the end we will get it done. We hope to have some wounded soldiers at the affair that would like to get out of the hospital, guys that want to come and eat come barbecue, enjoy and cold drink and (if allowed) smoke a cigar.

Since all those men and women will be our guests of honor, they will all be there at our treat and any soldier that comes in uniform will be at our treat as well, including their immediate family.

This has generated a ton of great response, and we are expecting about

400 guests and soldiers! We are lucky to have the Texas A&M ( OUTSTANDING guys and gals) get behind us and donate their entire 15 acre park for the day. We couldn't afford the event any other way.

We are a diverse little group of guys that do this, and our group members run anywhere from doctors, lawyers, contractors (eecch!), office workers and laborers. It pleases me to no end to see our group, from 19 years old to 76 all work together to make this happen. Amazing to me, they all do exactly what I ask them to do without any kind of static.

We did something similar at Christmas, and I am proud to say that between club members, significant others (even a couple of girlfriends!) and some kiddos we had over 35 volunteers. I put them all to work, and we had a ball. I am sure we will have a bunch this time, maybe not as many as it will be hotter than hell and most aren't used to being outside in South Texas on a summer day.

So this post has two purposes.

First, to remind all of you how much has been given to this country by our military, and how grateful we should be at this time when all the soldiers are volunteers. These are special people.

Second, maybe as important as anything we are doing, I can't encourage you guys enough to get involved in helping out this newest group of veterans returning from service. We have a few in our club, and some of our members have sons and daughters serving and returning. While most of America is waiting for the new Transformers movie to come out or fretting over sports, our soldiers are all the way across the world serving their country and fellow soldiers as they see fit, doing what they see as the right thing to do.

Some of these returning troopers are having a hard time with things, and I haven't met a John Wayne in the bunch. They are ALL thankful to be remembered and well thought of.

We have sent a lot of care packages overseas to the big sandbox over the last year, and the emails we get back are both hilarious and some just heartbreaking. We will have our facebook page up soon, and you can see some of the postings we have received. Sadly, some of the "friends" are no longer with us....

I don't give shit one about the politics, or opinions on right and wrong; this is all well past the political drivel. We just don't do enough for these men and women. No way around it.

So me and my boys will be busy cooking two pigs and some briskets for these guys to have on Monday, just a very small way of showing our thanks. I am proud of our group, and I am proud to be leading the charge on this event.

I encourage all of you to honor or thank our military men and women when you can, but to make an extra effort on Monday. It's their day.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Amen and WELL DONE!!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Good job, Robert. ^5

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Robert,

Thank You for recognizing our vets and showing them they are appreciated by hosting this event - actions always speak louder than words.

Where and when is this event?

I am in west Houston and considering the event's location would like to attend and help out.

First order of the day is to attend the Memorial Day Service at Houston National Cemetery

- been going every year for longer than I can readily recall. Although do miss the F-16 fly-by - absent since they moved out of Ellington - in particular the missing man formation.

Hope dad is up to attending this year - today is his 87 birthday, and it has been hot here as well - pushing 100 the last several days. That is OK with me - much prefer the heat to cold.

Thanks again and Best Regards,

Doug

T" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

Reply to
Doug

What you guys are doing for these wounded warriors is beyond noble. Having had the chance to hear you talk about this effort in person, it is apparent that it is indeed a genuine, heartfelt effort from all of you.

My hat's off to you, and your organization ... well done, Robert!

Reply to
Swingman

Type

Aggie Park & Banquet Hall, West Avenue, San Antonio, TX

Into Google Maps, and it will show you just where we are. If you are at all familiar with San Antonio, come in on IH10, go through town, make sure you stay on on IH10 West through downtown, then take the 410 West exit. Go two exists until you see West Avenue. Take West Avenue and go the intersection of the 410 access road and West Avenue. Turn left, going back under 410. Go under 410, staying on West Avenue. Go 50 yds,, the park is on your left.

You can see a bit more here

you look at FEATURED EVENTS. We are the first line under that, click on it and you can see a bit of info.

Be sure and find me if you come. I am affectionately known as "Red Leader" for my Red Shirt worn so they can find me by my guys, or Robert to the volunteers. Hours are 12 - 6, but setup will start around 10:30, and cleanup will be finished at 6:30. We are welcome to stay after that and powow with the Men of Maroon, and I intend to do just that.

National Cemetery

been hot here

the heat to

I understand. I am thinking many will stay away this year because of this heat spell. It is tough, that's sure. I will be drinking a lot of water on Monday! But when the sun goes down.....

Hope to see you there. I wouldn't take my Dad (85) out in the heat these days. He never was an outside guy, and now he is just too frail. He could be damage himself in just an hour. I told him I would take lots of pictures.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On May 28, 2:29=A0am, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote: [snipped heartfelt message for brevity]

I will always be grateful for the military men and women, but man, can I get pissed at those in government who send those same men and women into battle to help their oil-business buddies. And when soldiers DO go out and follow orders, for them to be treated like a spent piece of gear upon their return just makes me sick.

That's a good thing you and your buddies are doing.

Robatoy

In news: snipped-for-privacy@m10g2000yqd.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spewed forth:

Hats off to ya!! Great job!! We need more people like you Did ya invite Sqwertz?

Reply to
ChairMan

Robert,

It is not just folks in the military that make this country great. It guys like you who back up sentiment and words with real action. I am certain that it will be a real party, enjoyed by all. Even if it gets a little hot.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

YeaH, baby. What would it be without him? Fun? Peaceful?

*chuckle*

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks, Lee. It is a small thing to do, even if right now I am completely worn out. I haven't ever been one to set on my dead ass, and I am not much on a lot of chin music on thing that mean something to me. I making this event and the Christmas event my personal mission of thanks.

And seeing some of these men and women that have given so much physically (literally) and mentally of themselves, seeing them happy and relaxed, feeling normal again.... well, that is its own reward.

At the Christmas event, I got a table full of wounded soldiers into a pretty heated debate about barbecue, and what state does the best. There was a lot of good natured ribbing, but the vote went to Texas since we were their hosts. Kansas City made a good showing, though. It is a wonderful thing to see bandaged guys, men missing limbs, burn victims etc., arguing their asses off about their State's barbecue being the best.

And it will be hotter than hell outside on Monday. But.... who cares? We have some shade, music, barbecue, beer.... this is something I would attend regardless of the heat!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Or any other thing that catches their fancy.

And that sir, is exactly why we are doing it.

Thanks -

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks, Karl. It is a real feel good event for me, that's for sure. I think it is so little, but it is appreciated so much. No matter how hard me and the team work, the returns are many times over what we put out.

But you have to know.... if you were around here, I would put you to work!

On the bright side though, as an honored vet yourself, you and Linda could eat and drink for free!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

There has been and is a very select group of people to which I consider it to be an honor to have known Robert, FWIW you have been on that list for some time now.

Reply to
Leon

Hats off to you! Nothing like seeing the sparkle in ones eyes when you tell a Service Member, Thanks for all you do and you're greatly appreciated!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

All I can say is "Thank you".