On Topic. How to stretch a board.

I have seen this joint (or one similar) before. I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart. Appears to be really strong too.

woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:64udnb-6RKNRWsXKnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

It's a locking scarph joint. Joints like that were developed to make keel timbers for wooden ships (think HMS Victory and the like), so yeah, they are very strong. Some of them were quite a bit more complex, too.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That represents an interesting category of joinery. I find it hard to praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine (not that they used one). Thanks for sharing!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

seems like they were fitting the final peg or at least that is what i interpreted from watching it

saw a video where the architect wanted vast spans with no need for load bearing posts in the room

it was in japan and the design included only joinery techniques with no metal

he designed the joint in cad and it was so complex that it could only be done by machine

the joints were curved but did something similar to these joints

all the master carpenters agreed that only a machine could provide the precision required

the room was actually a music hall iirc

Reply to
Electric Comet

Looks like it did not fit as well on the left side of the joint. The right side was beautiful.

Reply to
G. Ross

The left side "poor fit" was to allow dissassenbly by driving in a wedge, as clearly shown later in the video.

Reply to
clare

Now I see. It is not the surface but the deeper part of the assembly that has a slot. Thanks.

Reply to
G. Ross

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Made, no doubt, with negative set.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

WHATTTTT???? That makes no sense Bill

Reply to
woodchucker

Are you sure??? I thought it was remarkable engineering. I wonder if the guy who made the joint could cut nice dovetails too?

Reply to
Bill

Probably learned DT's while still in diapers.

Reply to
Leon

That's the tool you need when you've cut the board twice and it's still too short.

Reply to
krw

I was confused by your comment also.

What did you mean by "I find it hard to praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine."?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That I found it more a feat of engineering than a feat of woodworking. Nothing more...but my comment seems to have offended some. No offense intended--honest!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Quite the contrary. I have a book on joints(somewhere in the house) , many of which I could not make, and it goes back hundreds of years that these joints have been made. Many are no longer done, probably because of the skill required, and the fact that we have other ways of doing things these days (steel bolts and plates).

Some are quite exotic. The one in the video is simple, yet complex.

Reply to
woodchucker

I have two, one really old ("Woodworking Joints", by Fairham) and "The Joint Book" by Terrie Noll. The latter has colored diagrams throughout and that would be the one I would select if I could only have one of these two. I see Amazon has some others too.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I don't find it offensive at all, but i do find it bewildering.

My interpretation: That cabinet you made is nice, but Ikea has cabinets too. They use CNC machines, well programmed.

We don't need no stinkin traditional skills.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's kind of where I was at.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ed Pawlowski (sarcastically, I believe) well-captured much of my reaction. My soul was not as touched as it might be if I were looking at a nice piece of furniture. However, I'm sure the builder having the need for the long beam was very satisfied! I am not really "into" woodworking for its technological elements--in fact, probably just the opposite is true. It may sound strange to hear that I think I would rather go back in time with it--not forward in time with it, if that makes any sense. So the novel engineering joint struck me thus. YMMV. I think folks are over-thinking this! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill