On Topic. How to stretch a board.

Page 1 of 2
I have seen this joint (or one similar) before. I thought it was cool to see how they put it together and take it apart. Appears to be really strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYqAGvgM2Y

--
Jeff

It's a locking scarph joint. Joints like that were developed to make keel timbers for wooden ships (think HMS Victory and the like), so yeah, they are very strong. Some of them were quite a bit more complex, too.
John

All this time I've been using my negative kerf blade.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

That represents an interesting category of joinery. I find it hard to praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine (not that they used one). Thanks for sharing!
Bill
On 6/8/2016 10:48 PM, Bill wrote:

WHATTTTT???? That makes no sense Bill
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

Are you sure??? I thought it was remarkable engineering. I wonder if the guy who made the joint could cut nice dovetails too?
On 6/9/2016 4:12 PM, Bill wrote:

Probably learned DT's while still in diapers.
On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 5:13:31 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

I was confused by your comment also.
What did you mean by "I find it hard to praise something that is probably best cranked out by a cnc machine."?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

That I found it more a feat of engineering than a feat of woodworking. Nothing more...but my comment seems to have offended some. No offense intended--honest!
Bill
On 6/10/2016 2:59 PM, Bill wrote:

Quite the contrary. I have a book on joints(somewhere in the house) , many of which I could not make, and it goes back hundreds of years that these joints have been made. Many are no longer done, probably because of the skill required, and the fact that we have other ways of doing things these days (steel bolts and plates).
Some are quite exotic. The one in the video is simple, yet complex.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

I have two, one really old ("Woodworking Joints", by Fairham) and "The Joint Book" by Terrie Noll. The latter has colored diagrams throughout and that would be the one I would select if I could only have one of these two. I see Amazon has some others too.
Bill

On 6/10/2016 2:59 PM, Bill wrote:

I don't find it offensive at all, but i do find it bewildering.
My interpretation: That cabinet you made is nice, but Ikea has cabinets too. They use CNC machines, well programmed.
We don't need no stinkin traditional skills.
On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 7:15:17 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's kind of where I was at.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ed Pawlowski (sarcastically, I believe) well-captured much of my reaction. My soul was not as touched as it might be if I were looking at a nice piece of furniture. However, I'm sure the builder having the need for the long beam was very satisfied! I am not really "into" woodworking for its technological elements--in fact, probably just the opposite is true. It may sound strange to hear that I think I would rather go back in time with it--not forward in time with it, if that makes any sense. So the novel engineering joint struck me thus. YMMV. I think folks are over-thinking this! : )
Bill
On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 9:03:12 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

Wait! Am I in the wrong ng?
Isn't this rec.overthink-everything?

That's fair. That joint was not a cabinetry joint, which is the subject we're mainly concerned with. It was a joint from the ship-building or timber-framing world. Interesting from an engineering standpoint, and interesting from a historical standpoint (as others noted, exceptionally complex joints were used in ship-building and timber-framing back to the 1300's), but not especially relevant to furniture.
John
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

Who is this "we"? This isn't rec.fine-furniture-making.
says... >> That's fair. That joint was not a cabinetry joint, which is

Ah, "we" is the participants in the wreck. Having watched it for a while now, cabinetry of one kind or another - how to do it, what tools to use, etc, etc - is the bulk of the on-topic discussion. Which isn't to say that other wood working topics aren't discussed (not to mention any number of off-topic topics). But furniture has been the core as far back as I can remember.
John
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

The "core" perhaps but hardly the totality.
However it's clear that you want to be netnanny and you need to get over that because nobody likes a netnanny.
J. Clarke wrote:

I think you owe everyone who read your post an apology.