On the subject of compressors...

Is this one good enough to run the Critter spray gun?

Critter...

I've been told the Critter requires a 90PSI compressor to work.

I niether have the use or strage for a full HVLP system. I think the Critter is going to do 90+% of what I need. I haven't read reviews yet but it seems to have a decent rating. Any comments on this?

I already have the HF compressor. A gift from my FiL a few years back. `Casper

Reply to
Casper

According to Critter the site you linked, you are correct. Specifically, it says the gun needs 3.0 CFM at 90 psi.

According to the HF page you linked, the compressor delivers 0.6 CFM @ 90 psi.

I may be going way out on a limb here but I'm saying the HF compressor won't work for your Critter.

Reply to
dadiOH

BTW I would never spray at 90psi. For most lacquer based, about 35psi it was with conventional binks gun.

For oil based it depends but somewhere around 35-45. using hvlp conversion gun

For shellac about 40 using hvlp conversion

Too much pressure and most of it goes to the atmosphere. You want to atomize it, but keep it flowing.

If I want a dry coat, I'll put higher pressure and less material. But a normal or gloss coat, requires less pressure and more material.

It all depends on what you are doing.

Reply to
woodchucker

"dadiOH" was heard to mutter:

Yes. I missed the 3 CFM part initially. Sorry.

HF compressor manual ... 0.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI of 1 SCFM @ 40 PSI.

You may be right. I am still reading and gleaning info on the compressor and critter specifically. I like the mason jar usage of the critter, as paint storage (a.k.a 'strage') is very limited for me.

Thx

Reply to
Casper

woodchucker was heard to mutter:

I am not familiar with most spray guns except airbrushes.

I will be using either an acrylic paint or some type of water based clear/sealant. I have tried (once) to stain my (tiny) deck with a handheld bug sprayer. I could not get the mix (water-based) to come out in any way that was useful. Either it didn't come out at all or it was so watery it simple ran and dried.

Basically, I am looking to paint a fence. Water-based, inexpensively, with the compressor I already have. I may (rarely) use it to spray a clear coat or other color acrylic coat.

I have tried some Wagner products in the past. I have found them annoying. They clog, are a pain to get the mix right to spray and take forever to clean up. I once tried their paint roller. I let the other guy use it. He got one wall and a mess to clean up while I did three walls with a manual roller and was cleaned up in under ten minutes.

If I were making furniture, custom built-ins, or other similar things, I would look into buying a better pro paint system. But I'm not doing those things, have no plans to, and have no room to store things I will only use once every 3-5 years or less.

Your input is appreciated.

Reply to
Casper

8>< Snip

Not a regular painter myself, but with acrylic type paint I have used a spray gun which has a pressurized pot and about 45 PSI works best. I have tried a gravity feed hvlp but it did poorly. This is like the one I use for this type of spraying.

G. Ross

I'd rent a sprayer.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

The simple answer is compare the necessary requirements of the tool you want to use to those of the compressor you want to use.

Reply to
Leon