On the level

Mostly, I'm learning (which is closer to "asking")! : ) I am definitely NOT "telling".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Very nice. Thank you for sharing this.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I lose 'em when things are not on the level.

I tried using half of a pair of dice.

That didn't work either.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not always. If a bathtub or shower pan or drainboard (do they call them that any more?) should or could have a slope to facilitate run-off.

Reply to
HeyBub

My tub had a slope the wrong way when I bought the house. Rotted out quite a lot before I finally figured out what the problem was and fixed it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Good point. An unlevel toilet would be bothersome though... the reasons why could probably make David Letterman's top 10 list... : )

Reply to
Bill

Don't all bathtubs and shower pans have the slope built into the design such that when the fixture is installed correctly (level) they drain properly?

Reply to
krw

I think you are wanting flat, you can build level and square on a non level surface, I have been doing it that way for 30 years.

Reply to
Leon

Your tub rotted?

Reply to
Leon

They just don't make them like they used to. LOL

Reply to
Lee Michaels

For stuff close to the ceiling I just use a tape measure unless it needs to work with gravity.

Reply to
clare

If it is not level, you can't check parallel with a level. To be accurate you still nead to measure with a vernier, but for many applications a level base, and a level to check the assembly, is quick, easy, and effective.

Reply to
clare

Nope. The wall, the floor, the joists, . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke

I use a level once in a while, but usually do it with a laser line projector.. I think I paid $10 for it at Harbor Freight.. Just set it on a surface with it projecting a line, set the screws until it's level and line the shelf or whatever up with it.. Very handy as a "3rd hand"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

So was that water that leaked between the tub and wall?

Reply to
Leon

Actually went on the floor and under the tub. Tubs have a lip that is intended to catch water on three sides--you want it sloped so that water runs toward the lip on the back of the tub so most of it stays in the tub. Mine was sloped the other way A bad seal around the valves let water run behind the wall, down into the gap between that lip and the wall, it then ran down the open side of the tub, behind the wall, and out onto the floor under the vinyl. First sign that there was a problem was when I put my foot through the floor. When I got into it I found that the floor was rotted out from above, and water had run down alongside the nails onto the tops of the joists and rotted them between the joist and subfloor. Huge mess. Didn't help that the previous owner had had the same thing happen, done a half-assed job of fixing it and not bothered to check the levelling of the tub.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I had the subfloor in a half-bath rot out without me knowing it. I discovered the problem when I was pulling the fixtures out preparing to tile the floor. I first noticed the strange aluminum flashing and caulking under the baseboard. Then when I removed the vanity I discovered the subflooring under it had turned to dust. Evidently the previous owners knew about the leak but perhaps thought it was their kid taking a bath on the floor and tried to dam up the walls. The problem was a pin hole in the hot water supply pipe in the wall. I found it by feel; a nail had worked its way from the inside out. Amazingly, it never leaked enough to get to the kitchen ceiling, below.

Reply to
keithw86

Surveyors did fine with bubbles in a glass tube or dome until about

25-30 years ago.

I got a laser from my daughter's family for Christmas a few years ago. Neat toy and it does have some practical use around the house use. But for most things, the setup time is a lot longer than walking to the garage and grabbing one of my bubble devices.

Probably just me. I'm kind lazy that way.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:13:15 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca scrawled the following:

Ditto here, and I always verify that the window was installed level before putting anything up. Working with old, homebuilt houses, I've experienced a few "Mrs. Client, would you prefer that I hang the drapes parallel to the window opening level -or- the ceiling level?" and another one, "parallel with the closet frame or the closet door?" when there was a 1" gap and the door was level and square, and the frame was mudded and painted, no trim to hide it behind. That last one was a 1970s tract home in LoCal.

-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah and the fact that water is normally clear makes it hard to notice.

Sounds like a real mess you had.

Reply to
Leon