On the level

Page 1 of 4
It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring more than 1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just the other day without one, which I ended up doing twice. So, tonight I went searching online for a level. I assume that levels with magnets stick to the studs in walls (is that correct?). Any other uses for a "magnetic level"? I'm focusing now on the 24" size. Stanley makes several, basic version from about $16 up to a FatMax Extreme version which is supposed to be 5x as strong and accurate to .0005"/inch. for about $35. I would anticipate also using the level to install machinery (TS, BS, DP) and a homemade workbench on a concrete floor with several cracks (hench not level). I know that the workbench and vise should be level! I expect that a Starrett combination square that I expect to have by then will be helpful too in this regard--at least I should be able to see to it that the top of the bench and the top of the vise are coplanar. So based on the installations I have suggested above, what else do you think I need to know about selecting a level? Reliability is important, of course. I read somewhere that those with "caps" on the ends (which may include the ones I mentioned) have the potential to be less reliable.
Thank you, Bill

Look at this one (9" Digital Level w/Laser)!
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page "206&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=V0717&cookietest=1

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page "206&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=V0717&cookietest=1 Here's another that shows degrees:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId053&productId0654151&navFlow=3&keyword$+inch+level&langId=-1&searchRedirect$+inch+level&storeId051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%4063613b00&ddkey=Search
Bill wrote:

all the studs around here are non-magnetic or non-ferrous, being wood.
I am sure that a level with magnets, laser, ultrasonic rangefinder, GPS and digital readout is more accurate than a wife looking over your shoulder. And cheaper. But it will require those strange little child choker batteries that go dead between projects
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Mostly, I'm learning (which is closer to "asking")! : ) I am definitely NOT "telling".
Bill

A suprising number of levels are slightly wrong. No quantity of lasers, tripods, magnets or carry cases are any use at all unless the bubble is precisely set. You may find an issue with the sensitivity of the level, eg how far out of level it has to be to read out of level. You may not even want the level to be very sensitive, but that is down to your work and your experience to judge.
I used to use a level but now I work in old buildings I don't touch one from one week to the next.
Tim W
Bill wrote:

A level is a dirt-simple device. Even the ancient Egyptians used them.
Unless you have need for some exotic attachement - perhaps you're a surveyor - a fully functional level shouldn't cost more than about three bucks.
Here's a bag of marbles for 20 each. http://www.landofmarbles.com/sup346.html

You're going to replace those you've lost? <G>
Robatoy wrote:

I lose 'em when things are not on the level.
I tried using half of a pair of dice.
That didn't work either.

I think one can almost fill a glass pill bottle with water, attach it on its side to a board, and having a working level and 3 bucks. (I belive I first saw this in the book "Hand Tools: There Ways and Workings", by Aldren Watson). If one doesnt have a flat board, he or she may have to spend the 3 bucks--or possibly do prison time.

Surveyors did fine with bubbles in a glass tube or dome until about 25-30 years ago.
I got a laser from my daughter's family for Christmas a few years ago. Neat toy and it does have some practical use around the house use. But for most things, the setup time is a lot longer than walking to the garage and grabbing one of my bubble devices.
Probably just me. I'm kind lazy that way.
RonB
Bill wrote:

Uhhh...no. Unless they are steel studs. Wood isn't magnetic. ___________

What for? The only possible reason I can think of is if you intend to buy HeyBub's bag of marbles, pour them out on the table and want them to stay there (they'll stay in the vise, level or not, if you close the jaws on them).
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Stuff in the vise will stay put. A 1/4" chisel laid on the benchtop not so much. And when it finishes rolling off it's even money whether it's going to come down point first on one's foot or the concrete floor.
It's convenient that the bench be level enough that round tools don't roll off of it.
J. Clarke wrote:

I don't have round tools, I sand a flat on them.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

The main reason I was thinking of was to reinforce accurate planing. Not sure to the extent this is valid.
Bill

- you KNOW the bench is level, so if the assembly is level you also know it is parrallel, and using a square with it, you also know if it is square.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Flat I can see, but level?
--

dadiOH

accurate you still nead to measure with a vernier, but for many applications a level base, and a level to check the assembly, is quick, easy, and effective.

Very nice. Thank you for sharing this.
Bill
snip

I think you are wanting flat, you can build level and square on a non level surface, I have been doing it that way for 30 years.