?on miter cut.

Using the formula (n-2)*180 as the sum of interior angles of a polygon:

With n = 5, you get 3*180, or 540.

If all the same (regular) you'll get 540/5 or 108.

To have two equal cuts meet at that angle you'll have to have each 54 degrees.

Most, if not all miters turn only to 45 degrees on the scale, and are initially perpendicular to the blade, so set at the complimentary angle (90 - 54) = 36 degrees.

Dan (not a cabinetmaker)

Reply to
Danny Boy

As I previously stated, read what the OP has asked for, not what you think he has asked for. If he has asked the wrong question, then that is a totally different matter.

Bob is not asking what angle his 2x4 has to be cut to (which is 54 deg), he is asking what angle does he "need" to cut the wood, so he can build a 5 sided planter. He needs an angle of 36 deg.

He applies an angle of 36 degrees to his CMS and will be able to build a 5 sided planter.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Walters

This all comes down to a matter of where one is measuring the angle from. Where would the man set his miter saw? 36 dregrees (I almost wrote %%D).

Reply to
CW

This is getting comical.

Reply to
CW

Since what?

Reply to
CW

You are correct.

Reply to
Leon

LOL.... I would like to see the 54 degree setting on the saw... I think what the OP was really wanting to know was what to set the saw at.

Reply to
Leon

Why do we have to insult each other?

What happened to an exchange of ideas and constructive criticism?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

What I have found, for the most part, is that the fault is on both sides. The "draftsman" is not usually a draftsman. He is often just somebody that learned to draw shapes with a CAD program. His knowledge of drafting standards and proper layout are usually lacking. Often that is on top of limited shop experience. On the other hand, people in the shop are often not any better. They never bother to correctly learn to read a print, thinking that a print should be like a picture and if they can't understand it, it's the draftsman's fault. This situation is very prevalent and usually continues this way as there is often no one that really knows any better.

Reply to
CW

Right you are. 'Scuse me while I hunt around for a shop rag to wipe some of that egg offa my face. :-)

Doug Miller

You got it. There has been many correct answers with different numbers. A lot of argument has gone on due to different reference points.

Reply to
CW

To cut a 54-degree angle you set the saw to 36 degrees, for the same reason that to cut a 90-degree angle you set it to zero.

Doug Miller

Obviously not everyone agrees on that:

To me, that is _specifically_ asking for the 54 "degree" angle to which the

2 X 4's need to be cut ... not the angle of the saw necessary to make the cut, which someone with a through understanding of woodworking miter geometry would know instinctively.

Granted, a fair difference in interpretation .... and if you just want to get the job done and not understand "why" you need to set the saw differently, then all you need to know is 36 degrees.

However, unless you have a grasp of the geometry involved, you may never figure out the angles on the next project ... which is obviously WHY the question was asked in the FIRST damn place.

;>)

Reply to
Swingman

This is the funniest goddam thread I've read on the wreck in a very, very long time!

You guys crack me up!

Here... I'll help everyone out with the following link:

Now you can all argue over how wrong their chart is, or what the complementary angle is... Oh, wait... Nevermind.

LOL!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

------------- Well Bob I reckon that after reading the responses here you are likely to bin woodworking and take up stamp collecting.

Your simple question (the answer to which is 36 degrees) has caused more grief than a troll fest.

Don't give up, they're generally very helpful here. This thread however beggars belief.

Reply to
gandalf

The guy wants to make a pentagonal planter box for his wife, right?

He probably has yet to realize that his wife will eventually want him to slop the sides outwards ... now we're talking _compound_ miter cuts.

... then the real comedy begins.

Reply to
Swingman

Interior angles don't have to add to 360. Exterior angles do. For a pentagon, interior angle is 108, exterior angle is 180-108 = 72.

5 * 72 = 360

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

It has to happen every once in a while. If everyone let it build up, they'd explode. :)

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Swingman

LOL ..

Actually, it may set a new record in the current day and age: Thus far each and every post in the thread has been ON topic, the thread has fewer, by about 500, posts in it than any with the word BUSH in the subject, and the Next key is still equally available for anyone who feels to the contrary.

Reply to
Swingman