On Hearing That Norm Was Retiring

Page 2 of 2

In his own mind
--
Sincerely,
Dick
The Vice President
Patrick Olguin wrote:

humbly???? yeah, right! right after you told us you are a fine musician?? you crack me up, P.O! (you won't drop names, but it reads impressively?) What a shmoe!
dave
Patrick Olguin wrote:

Please comment on two people I've heard in concert: - Doc Severensen (sp???) - Phil Driscoll
Thanks.
-- Mark

No sweat.

After listening to Doc, I probably drove over one of my horns with a car.

Tossed my #1 horn (at the time), very reverently, off of a bridge into a very deep gorge.
Those guys are two of my favorites.
Humbly submitted, O'Deen
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) writes:

Don't forget
Roy Hargrove (Saw him a couple of weeks ago at the hollywood bowl) Miles Davis (Saw him twice - unbelievable) Maynard Ferguson (Ran a follow spot for one of his shows in the 70's) Herb Albert (If you like it, you like it) Wynton Marsalis (when he does straight-ahead jazz, anyway)
all excellent horn players.
scott

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote in wrote

We went to hear Maynard Ferguson play at a high school some years back, because our sons were in the music programs (Shame that those are under such $$$ pressure...) We were literally blown away with the skill and the volume. And worried that the most talented of the boys had suffered permanent hearing damage. His ears buzzed for three days.
Today, that son architects computer code for medical systems for a living, and plays bassoon and trombone in community orchestras for enjoyment. He's been asked to sit in for some pretty impressive groups in the Bay Area, but he has to keep the music limited to really part time.
It's too bad we often have to choose between our talents.
Thanks for the thread, Paddy.
Patriarch
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:13:06 GMT, patriarch
[snip]
|We went to hear Maynard Ferguson play at a high school some years back, |because our sons were in the music programs (Shame that those are under |such $$$ pressure...) We were literally blown away with the skill and the |volume. And worried that the most talented of the boys had suffered |permanent hearing damage. His ears buzzed for three days.
Gad. Was this perhaps at Flowing Wells HS in Tucson? If so, my wife and I were at that concert. We happened to meet a girl (girl...she had two masters degrees, EE and Physics) I worked with and her husband.
At intermission we all went out to my truck where I had a bottle of wine stashed. We sat on the tailgate and drank it out of paper cups and then decided that Maynard's big band with a megawatt sound system in a concrete auditorium was too damn loud and left for our house. The night got better from there but I best not talk about that. [G]
Wes

I know a Juliard graduate who does computers (very well) to support his music habit. <g>

Yes, but it /is/ nice to have more than one. ;-)
-- Mark

Same feeling comes when I see something like that Cherry Walnut Library you guys just "whacked out in an afternoon". Or something from Mr. Plamann.
Do what I do - go buy a new clamp or three. And remember that "Hope springs eternal in the human breast."