On a lighter note, Brewed Lumber?

Well, I was at Lowe's today pricing items for a bid that I am doing and walking past the stacks of PT lumber I saw, "Born On" dates, on 8"x10" tables stapled on the banded bundles.
Does this mean wait a year from that date to buy the wood after it is reasonable dry? Does it mean that they have the freshest PT lumber? Do you really want fresh PT lumber.
Does anyone have a clue?

If I were forced to take a guess, I'd guess that it has something to do with the change in formulation of the brew that occurred at the first of the year. The old brew couldn't be used after the first of the year and the new brew is much more corrosive to steel fasteners and hardware than was the old. So, with a "born-on" date, you know whether you have the new brew or part of the dregs from the old brew. That tells you whether you need the extra corrosion proofed, triple zinc coated hardware or whether you can use the older hardware.
Of course, you can tell the same thing from the tags/stamps on the boards, so maybe it is just to let you know you aren't getting stale boards.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

with
year.
is
with a

dregs from

so
Well your reason sounds good enough to be the right one. :~)

Having walked down the lumber aisles of both HD and Lowe's, it smells like they are *all* stale boards. :-(

Leon wrote:

Lot of weirdo's on this NG, talking about smoking cocobolo and brewing PT lumber. I'll stick with coffee.
--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"