Older Rockwell Planer

So I may have access to a Rockwell planer, model 22650, built in June 1984. It is pretty good shape and was used up until the gent that owned it died last fall.

The only reference I can find for it is telling me that it's worth about a $1000usd. Now I'd really like to have this thing, but a grand for a 12" planer seems a might bit steep and spendy for my blood, but if it's truely worth it, I'll think about it...or how much IS it worth?

The widow also has a Dewalt model "B" RAS....any ideas as to the value of it? I've never heard of it. There is also a LARGE scroll saw...I wasn't able to get to the nameplate so I know nothing about it, other than that it is made of LARGE pieces of cast iron and has a 24" throat. Mean anything to anyone?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

I paid $500 for one a few weeks ago. Built in 1985 and bearing an Invicta/Delta nameplate, it's a solid machine in fantastic condition except for the power switch which reached the end of its life sometime between when I fired it up at its old home and when I turned it on again at its new home.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor

I would think more like $200 to $300 is all I would pay for it. A DW735 is wider, and leaves a nicer surface.

Also you should check knife availability before deciding.

ALan

Reply to
arw01

The Rockwell planer has a 13" capacity, same as the DW735. Cast iron rather than aluminum, 240V induction motor, nice 24" long infeed and outfeed tables (at least on mine).

Having no personal experience with the DeWalt, I can't comment on the comparative smoothness of the surface it leaves.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor

Just consider how much more wood the cast iron type will process after the lunchbox develops the shakes. Got to love the bed rollers on rough sawn stuff, and then there's the serrated steel infeed roller, the adjustable pressure and the steel outfeed.

Easily worth the price of a new lunchbox type.

Reply to
George

I bought mine new in the early 80's, Change the gear box oil, and change/sharpen the blades and its never needed any other work.. Comes with a tool that makes setting the blades real easy. Recently added dust collection and the part was still available from Delta.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

You _do_ know that a standard floor register fixture is a press fit?

I ask, because the real item pulls from the center, and wide boards with sharp blades will jam a center pull with wide shavings. I use a duct which pulls from the end, and it clears better.

Reply to
George

This is the real item, and does pull from the center. So far I haven't had any trouble and I'm pulling up from center. Good to know for future reference if I have a problem. This is a press fit but bolted. I can see where the side pull would clear better. I'm not usually dealing with more then an 8" board.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M