Older Delta Jointer question

I've just acquired an older jointer - model 37-255 6" Delta. It's got 3 cutter heads and 17" in feed and out feed tables. Delta told me it's

3/4 horse. It's built like a bench top, but quite a bit heavier and is mounted on a stand that originally came with the machine. I've found a parts list on line, but Delta doesn't have any manuals. It was discontinuted in 1985 and it retailed for $550 at that time. Can anyone tell me anything about this jointer? Is it worth cleaning up and using? It seems solidly built, and I could use a jointer, but I don't want to invest time and money if it wasn't a good machine in the first place.

Any advice / feedback will be Welcome. Thanks!

Reply to
lowellpickett

I've just acquired an older jointer - model 37-255 6" Delta. It's got 3 cutter heads and 17" in feed and out feed tables. Delta told me it's

3/4 horse. It's built like a bench top, but quite a bit heavier and is mounted on a stand that originally came with the machine. I've found a parts list on line, but Delta doesn't have any manuals. It was discontinued in 1985 and it retailed for $550 at that time. Can anyone tell me anything about this jointer? Is it worth cleaning up and using? It seems solidly built, and I could use a jointer, but I don't want to invest time and money if it wasn't a good machine in the first place.

Any advice / feedback will be Welcome. Thanks!

Reply to
lowellpickett

I don't know the specific model, but what's to lose? If you already have it and assuming it's not been totally trashed, what does it need minimally to make it run? If the knives are with it, sharpen them up a little, check that bearings aren't totally kaput, perhaps clean the tables a little and give it a whirl...worst thing that happens is the tables aren't aligned (or alignable) and you have a nice anchor. If it gives a decently straight edge, then you can decide whether you want to spend a lot of time and any actual money.

Reply to
dpb

I'll assume you mean, a three blade cutter head. And yes, its a pretty good

6" jointer.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa