Old Workbench Progress Report

The base of the bench is finished and awaits the top. After removing all of the parts that had been added to it over the years pounds of glue (hide glue I believe) was scraped off. This was a very tedious process. Then the entire base was scrubbed with a green Scotchbrite pad and mineral spirits. When dry the base was oiled with a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. The bolts assemblies holding the base together were de-rusted and the base assembled. Then I built a riser/leveling attachment for both foot boards. This was needed to raise the bench to about 34" and to allow for leveling on my very uneven floor.

Some pics have been put on my website for those who are interested. A shot of the base as I got it is there for comparison. Also, a pic of the "hardware" that was removed is included.

Currently the vises are being worked on. The front vise is waiting for it's oil and the tail vise is nearly finished. The top will be brought in from the garage to adjust to the climate of it's new home this weekend.

Thie pictures can be found here if interested.

Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

Remove "no" to reply

Reply to
Bill Rittner

Links aren't working Bill....and I'd love to see how that bench is looking.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes