Old window for sharpening base?

Page 1 of 2
I picked up Rockler's "sharpening system" today, the one that's a slab of plate glass, a honing guide and a packet of sandpaper. It was cheaper than what a local glass place quoted me for the glass alone.
Then I realized that I might be an idiot (and not for the first time, either), because I've got a couple of old windows sitting in my basement. Is there any reason, like the glass maybe being too thin or unflat, why I couldn't cut one of the panes down and use that as a base for sharpening with sandpaper?
--
-Chip Olson. | ceo2 at thsi dot org | remove the 2 to reply

: Is there any reason, like the glass maybe being too thin or unflat, why I : couldn't cut one of the panes down and use that as a base for sharpening : with sandpaper?
Thinness can be accommodated by supporting the glass on a sheet of MDF or whatever.
The flatness is unimportant. Glass is usually chosen because of its smoothness. Supporting abrasive paper on a lumpy surface would lead to the lumps being planed by the edge as it is worked forwards.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email: username is amgron

Flatness and smoothness are not always the same. You can have a smooth ball which is not flat at all. Therefore it is not a by-product of flatness. Think about it.
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:24:10 -0800, J wrote:

True, but since we're talking about planes, not spheres, this is irrelevant. A plane is both flat and smooth, by definition.

No it is not irrelevant. And, since you are diving into semantics, anyone who thinks that glass is a plane is wrong too. A plane has no thickness.
-j

Hey everybody, it's "word-games time". The one side of the glass being used to flatten a plane fits the definition of a plane well enough to be accurate. Yes, the glass itself has volume, but the meaning here is, ahem, plain.

Thanks for playing Dave. But you are one post too late. I already played the semantics card on Ray's post. :-).
-j

Yeah, but I was just plain playin' with plane, plane, and plain.

It is plain to see you will plain about anything.
-j
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:15:06 -0600, Ray Aldridge

if the diameter of you smooth ball is large enough it will produce a smooth edge on your tool which is within tolerance for straightness.
it's just a matter of what tolerances you hold your tools to and how big your balls are...
Chip Olson asks:

I can't comment on Rockler's kit, but I've got the Lee Valley glass, and there is very little glass that thick included in ANY window you or I are likely to get our hands on.
You could probably use standard window glass, but it is too thin in most cases. It breaks easily, and is not tempered, so when it breaks, you may get cut.
Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:57:51 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, I took another look at those windows after posting, and I'd forgotten that they're double-glazed vinyl windows, so the glass is probably somnething like 1/8" thick. :-(
--
-Chip Olson. | ceo2 at thsi dot org | remove the 2 to reply

1/4" glass resting on a reasonably flat surface will be just fine. Granite tiles also work. Anything that gives a true reflection (no bending or warping) will work.
-j
[...]

A quiet pool of water?
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:29:31 +0100, Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Frozen - possibly.
-Doug
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:29:31 +0100, Juergen Hannappel

Only if you're into Zen sharpening, Juergen.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Even the Japanese wait until the water turns into a stone.
-j

Really old window glass may not be flat, modern glass is flat enough but a typical window has thin glass that may flex. This possibly could be minimized by gluing the glass to something like a piece of MDF. I use a marble tile, available for a few $ for a 12X12 from Home Depot or Lowes.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Larry Wasserman responds:

All true, but you can also use plain old MDF, dry. McFeely's sells a kit based on that idea.