Old Violin

That is a great story. God, I've been to so many weddings at so many bland and boring places. Nobody at your wedding will be forgetting it anytime soon.

I agree with you on the bagpipes. I like the music just fine - in moderation and with appreciable breathing space between listenings.

Roba, how do you feel about Natalie McMasters? I caught her at the Newport Folk Festival some years back and she totally kicked ass. And looked damn fine doing it. Here's her accompanied by bagpipes, just for you:

here she's step dancing:
the Newport show she danced while playing the fiddle. If she's not a good reason to clone people, I don't know what is.

RicodJour

She's a one woman wrecking crew. Ashlie McIsaac's cousin, another Cape Bretoner.

Angela and I love that kind of music when live, and preferably in smaller venues. Natalie has become a little plastic, IMHO, a bit commercialized. But very talented. We do not own any of her music.

BTW, she's going to be a mommy (#4) any day now.

Reply to
Robatoy

She's definitely more toned down than when I saw her live. I was hoping to find a video of her doing something like at Newport. Irish step dancing is unique in that the whole idea is to not move your upper body (or smile like you're enjoying yourself or think it's a big deal), and that allows someone to play an instrument. I'd never seen anyone move their legs and feet like that while playing an instrument

- or since.

It even brought comments from my girlfriend - "Why are you drooling?" "Umm, I'm hungry...?"

RicodJour

"HeyBub" wrote

My first two sales on ebay were an Alpine front control panel that the volume control didn't work very well on. I bought a good one on ebay for $50, and used the old one for a paper weight for a couple of months. Then I got a 18w. Dewalt charger that a guy left in one of my rentals. No battery, no nothing, just a charger. I described the Alpine front panel in detail, with its malfunctioning volume control. Apparently someone who worked on them bought it for $40. The battery charger went for $25. My best deal was a travel trailer I got for $200 and sold for $4300. Lots of other stories. Think I'm going to start doing some more soon on estate sales, and "home run" items.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I can top that - sort of. I sometimes drive around my neighborhood the night before heavy trash pickup. On one of these foraging expeditions, I spied, and gathered to my bosom, a military jerry can that looked to be in good shape. It was.

When I got it home, there, stenciled on the bottom, was "3A Sep 44". If I decode this properly, the can was put into service with George Patton's 3rd Army Corps three months before the Battle of the Bulge!

This little can helped rescue the 101st Airborne Division (even though they never asked to be rescued).

Reply to
HeyBub