Old Violin

Page 2 of 3

If you decide to take up the violin and can't fix that one within a tight budget, grab one from an eBay vendor for as little as $25. They're handsomely made, good sounding instruments, too. I doubled my money selling it locally for half the price the locals get for similar instruments. (My neck didn't like the fiddlin' position at all so I had to give it up before I learned much.)
http://tinyurl.com/62hrgkg $24, $19 to ship. Violin, bow, rosin, strings, case, tuner.
http://tinyurl.com/63a3qvp $2 auction, $19 to ship.
-- Woe be to him that reads but one book. -- George Herbert
Larry Jaques wrote:

You should try this shoulder rest before you say "I quit" (unless you have a short neck):
http://www.sharmusic.com/Shop-Shar/Accessories/Essentials/Shoulder-Rests/Bonmusica-Violin-Shoulder-Rest-fits-4-4-size.axd

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.diversify.com says...

Thanks, I already have a violin that I play (not well). For 30 bucks, I couldn't turn down the antique, even if it needs some work.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Good Lord!
I had no idea violins could be had so cheaply.
Heck, they're cheap enough to use for DECORATION, even if one can't play it!

Unless played expertly (there aren't many), violins should only be used as decoration. Bag pipes are in the same class of instruments with the notable distinction that there are no expert bag-pipe players. Bag-pipes can not be used as decoration unless mounted like a deer's head with a lot of bullet holes. Tambourines and bongos belong on that list, decorative at best and never to be played.
Notable exceptions to the 'no violin' rule are fiddles in Irish pubs, where the fiddle players are back-up for singers like myself once we are over-served. Same thing goes for the Maritimes-style pubs. In limited doses, Alison Krauss can be entertaining... as is old footage of Henny Youngman.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 05:25:03 -0800 (PST), Robatoy wrote:

I like bagpipe music(is that the right term?), but I don't want to make a steady diet of it.
When I got hitched, the wedding was in a field alongside a large lake pretty much in the middle of nowhere, we hired a piper to play the wedding. Not too expensive and easier to move around than a grand piano.
When the piper arrived, he told me he needed a place to warm up and and to get the pipes limbered up, I took him over a little rise and into a scope of trees, thinking he would be somewhat unobtrusive and less annoying while trying to get the damn thing started.
This is where the fun starts, in a bush nearby there was possibly one of the largest red wasp nest known to mankind, further more, red wasp take great exception to bagpipe music (it is now only moments from time to walk the plank) we are engulfed in a cloud of wasp, the piper in full dress is having a fit, slinging pipes losing valuable articles of clothing and bagpipe pieces and generally running in circles. Meanwhile in an effort to keep this guy from fleeing the premises, I'm trying to fight the wasp off of him and manage to get stung all over the hands and arms. We managed to escape and gather all his equipment and only ran a few minutes late with the wedding.
I was in great pain and somewhat dizzy from the excitement and toxins, but the real swelling didn't start until later that evening. :)
basilisk

That is a great story. God, I've been to so many weddings at so many bland and boring places. Nobody at your wedding will be forgetting it anytime soon.
I agree with you on the bagpipes. I like the music just fine - in moderation and with appreciable breathing space between listenings.
Roba, how do you feel about Natalie McMasters? I caught her at the Newport Folk Festival some years back and she totally kicked ass. And looked damn fine doing it. Here's her accompanied by bagpipes, just for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9r1VEoSZ4I
and here she's step dancing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HuwuZG_HFo
At the Newport show she danced while playing the fiddle. If she's not a good reason to clone people, I don't know what is.

She's a one woman wrecking crew. Ashlie McIsaac's cousin, another Cape Bretoner.
Angela and I love that kind of music when live, and preferably in smaller venues. Natalie has become a little plastic, IMHO, a bit commercialized. But very talented. We do not own any of her music.
BTW, she's going to be a mommy (#4) any day now.

She's definitely more toned down than when I saw her live. I was hoping to find a video of her doing something like at Newport. Irish step dancing is unique in that the whole idea is to not move your upper body (or smile like you're enjoying yourself or think it's a big deal), and that allows someone to play an instrument. I'd never seen anyone move their legs and feet like that while playing an instrument - or since.
It even brought comments from my girlfriend - "Why are you drooling?" "Umm, I'm hungry...?"
On 2/4/2011 7:25 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Ya left off banjos and cowbells.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I go to a LOT of yard sales. I've seen them for $5, and for that, they would be a great wall piece. I've also seen $500 pieces of this and that where the people only want $5. You just need to know what you're looking at, whether it's a coin, a gun, a woodworking tool, a router set, a really nice set of Forstners, whatever.
Yard sale story: International pickup bed with trailer tongue on side of highway with "FREE" sign on it. It has a spare. Tires are flat. Hitch doesn't have ball clasp, so I have to chain it on and tow it five miles to my house. Go pump up the tires and drag it home. Plan is, I'm going to use it for hauling around my ranch property. SWMBO rolls eyes, seeing it as another one of my pointless endless worthless projects. I see hubcaps and chrome wheel rings. Average condition Put a set of three hubcaps and three rings on Ebay. Get $148. Advertise the trailer on Craigslist, get $35.
I guess there are people who would have told me the trailer was useless. I don't always listen to people. My Daddy could swear to that.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book. http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
Steve B wrote:

Yep. My son found a new CORVETTE SUN ROOF (or hard top or something to do with the roof on a Corvette) on the curb that was put out for heavy trash pickup. Sold the sumbitch on Ebay for over $400 !

My first two sales on ebay were an Alpine front control panel that the volume control didn't work very well on. I bought a good one on ebay for $50, and used the old one for a paper weight for a couple of months. Then I got a 18w. Dewalt charger that a guy left in one of my rentals. No battery, no nothing, just a charger. I described the Alpine front panel in detail, with its malfunctioning volume control. Apparently someone who worked on them bought it for $40. The battery charger went for $25. My best deal was a travel trailer I got for $200 and sold for $4300. Lots of other stories. Think I'm going to start doing some more soon on estate sales, and "home run" items.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

I can top that - sort of. I sometimes drive around my neighborhood the night before heavy trash pickup. On one of these foraging expeditions, I spied, and gathered to my bosom, a military jerry can that looked to be in good shape. It was.
When I got it home, there, stenciled on the bottom, was "3A Sep 44". If I decode this properly, the can was put into service with George Patton's 3rd Army Corps three months before the Battle of the Bulge!
This little can helped rescue the 101st Airborne Division (even though they never asked to be rescued).
Bill wrote:

Try http://www.mimf.com /
I think the argument to do so is

Bill
Do you know of a similar site for harps?
Thanks Bob AZ
Bob AZ wrote:

I regret that I don't.
F. Murtz's suggestion to look at http://www.mimf.com / is probably a good place to ask, though I haven't checked on the existence of a harp newsgroup.
Bill
Bill wrote:

The site I mentioned has archives and tons of stuff about almost all instruments, making,repairing. You could spend days sifting through it but you have to register.
?

The Irish can't use that site?

140 F to be precise.

Hide glue can not only be disassembled easily (some routine maintenance jobs call for it), it can be reglued without having to scrape out the old glue. Even after 300 years, the old glue is reactivated by the new.
Hide glue also doesn't creep, like almost every other modern glue.