Old Violin

Page 1 of 3
Found an old Stradivarius knockoff with some cracks that need gluing. I'm not looking to make some kind of profit on this. I just want it to play. Is it some kind of sacrilege to use old fashioned epoxy resin to fix it?
It's one of the many that says Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 17(40 written in)
Thanks,
Sam

Take it to a luthier and get a quote.
In article <8dfd0529-a457-4acd-a17d-0ec020738876

There is absolutely no way I'm spending money to get this restored. I just want it to play.

Man, do I have to spell it out for you?
Get quote. Ask why so much. He'll explain what he has to do. Knowledge.
In article <fe7855bc-ffe7-4808-8ab3-
says...

Got it. Good idea.
Thanks,
On 2/3/2011 8:57 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Besides even though is a knock off, it still could be valuable, and worth significantly more that the cost of repair. Don't you watch Antiques Roadshow? ;-)

Someone just brought one into Pawn Stars, and they wouldn't even buy it, once it was determined to be a knock off (even if it was 100 years old).
That's worthless.
scott
On 2/4/2011 3:05 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I've known some of these old imported European "knock offs" to sound and play better than a $30,000 Cremona instrument in your local symphony orechestra.
Worth, or value, to a musician, is ALL about what it sounds like, first and foremost, followed by how easy it is to play ... everything else is secondary, including what it might be worth to a pawn shop.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/4/2011 3:27 PM, Swingman wrote:

I should have added ... unless he's between girlfriends with no couch to sleep on.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

The pawn boys wouldn't buy it, but their appraiser said that in repaired condition it was worth between $1500-$2500. Not as much as a strat, but not bad for free find in an old trunk.

I quote a friend:
"Robbie, God gave us gentiles, because SOMEbody has to pay retail.."

Agree - - A good luthier will be able to tell you if there is value in the instrument before you start dinkin' with it. An old, European violin was brought into our museum about a year ago. It was owned by one of the Nuns who ran the frontier boarding school and music program in our 1880's home town. We were delighted to have it as an artifact. Had a luthier look at it and, in rough condition, it is worth more than $4,000.
Be nice to know before you start applying the epoxy and duct tape. :o)
RonB

It likely wouldn't resonate with that goop on it. Howzbout brown duct tape?
-- Woe be to him that reads but one book. -- George Herbert
On 02/03/2011 06:54 PM, sam wrote:

If this one is a total loss, and if you're ambitious, try this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Deluxe-Violin-Kit/H3099
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Thanks, Doug. I'm not much for kits. I watched a video of a guy who made one by re-sawing some pieces and matching the grain on the back. It looked just great. That's the crazy kind of thing I'd like to try one of these days.
I'm really curious what this old violin will sound like when I get it glued up. I hope it has an awesome tone.
On 2/3/2011 11:41 PM, sam wrote:

If you just glue it up with whatever, it won't. If it has any value and you really want it to sound like anything you need to get somebody that knows what they are doing to fix it. A good violin is a precision instrument.
Bill
sam wrote:

Out of respect for the instrument, and to help provide it with a long lifetime, you are supposed to use "hide glue" (it is melted it in a cooking pot of hot water). The advantage is that the instrument can then be easily taken apart when necessary. Besides for reasons having to do with sound, using epoxy will seal the instruments fate permanently. BTW, removing any of the instruments finish is is an offense considered punishable by a fate worse than being boiled like hide glue. ;) No kidding!
Bill

Thanks, Bill. Looks like it will be cooked hide glue for me.
sam wrote:

Sam,
If you want to read more along these lines, you might browse the "setup and repair" forums at: http://www.fiddlehangout.com / There are also several experts there that will probably be glad to help you with your questions. Be prepared to invest more time than the instrument's probably worth and read a bunch before you do anything. Do you realize that just to get the tuning pegs to work "nicely", you may spend close to $100 on tools? Maybe you should take it to a luthier as has already suggested by others? If you aren't committed to doing this sort of thing as a hobby, I think the argument to do so is compelling. Here's a link to some parts and tools you may find interesting:
http://www.stewmac.com/Shopping?&offset=0&keyword=Violin&actn=search&sort=score desc
Bill

http://www.stewmac.com/Shopping?&offset=0&keyword=Violin&actn=search&sort=score

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the great links. I'm going to wait until summer when I'm in full woodworking mode and I'll study up and try to do it right.
Thanks again,
Sam