Old trees aren't the only ones

Page 1 of 2
We recently had a thread on losing a 500 year old tree to rather semi-conscious workmen.
Locally (in this a.m.'s paper), we had a new roof get ripped off and replaced. The roof that got torn off was 1 year old. The house was at (not real address) 1203 66th St. The house that was supposed to have the work done was at 1203 Cooperland Dr., 3/10 of a mile away. According to the paper, and at least one person in the town of VIenna, WV, those addresses are confusing.
The homeowner was out of town and came back to get told of the changes by a neighbor. Fortunately for him, the builder is reputable, so it will be put back as it was by the original roofer.
But, sheest! Confusing? 66th St. and Cooperland Dr.? With 3/10 of a mile between them, it isn't likely to have been streets nose to nose, though Vienna does wind around a bit. Nice little town.
Charlie Self "Property is not the sacred right. When a rich man becomes poor it is a misfortune, it is not a moral evil. When a poor man becomes destitute, it is a moral evil, teeming with consequences and injurious to society and morality." Lord Acton
On 22 Apr 2004 11:35:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

So they're going to put yet another new roof on the house accidentally reroofed? What's wrong with this accidental roof?
Probably the quality of materials.
Lazarus Long writes:

Ah, welllllll...this was a Parkersburg newspaper story, and asking for all the journalist's questions does not include "why". Other stuff, what, where, when do get told, if in a confusing manner.
Charlie Self "Property is not the sacred right. When a rich man becomes poor it is a misfortune, it is not a moral evil. When a poor man becomes destitute, it is a moral evil, teeming with consequences and injurious to society and morality." Lord Acton
Snip

Vienna
Yup... I 'd say about as easy to confuse as a 5 year old Ash for a 500 year old Oak.
Wondering if it might be a case of street names changing at obtuse intersections, or something like that?

semi-conscious
replaced.
address)
1203
one
back
Vienna
is a

morality."
I am not sure of other areas but in my area of Indiana there is a street that changes names 3 times in the space of less that 3 miles. Also, there ain't much imagination here. There are two Maple streets - a North/South Maple and an East/West Maple. Yes, they do intersect.

Provo Utah has an intersection of University and University. You really need to pay attention to the Blvd, Pkwy, St, yadayadayada

Pounds on Wood responds:

Yeah, well in this case, I think the workers, who are supposedly professional roofers, needed to pay attention to the condition of the roof they were ripping off. At a year old, even in the poisonous chemical atmosphere too often found here, there are no signs of deterioration. There would have to be an underlying reason to rip off the old and put on new, and there are no indications that they carried decking materials, framing materials, etc., or that they used them.
Charlie Self "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right." Thomas Paine
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:24:20 GMT, "Pounds on Wood"

downtown tucson has number streets and number avenues. lots of opportunities to get lost....
snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com wrote in message wrote:

No monopoly in Provo .... most of the state of Minnesota is numbered avenues and numbered Streets. But it's better than that all numbers start at 0,0 near some city or town center and go up in both directions from there. That's right you get 4 copies of each intersection --- NW,NE,SW,SE. If you can't keep the Ave's from the St's the it often becomes and 8-fold ambiguity.
hex -30-
Hell, that's kids' stuff. In Boston, there are some streets you can't get to from here. Them Pilgrims walked some crooked paths.
Cape Cod Bob Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis Delete the two "spam"s for email

And if you can get there, they aren't wide enough to drive down, or there's no place to park!
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.
Cape Cod Bob wrote:

There's even some streets that you can't get to the next address on the same street from here. When the Interstates went through they added another layer of obscurity.

--
--John

Sunrise Fl has an intersection of North Pine Island Rd with Pine Island Rd North. How you're susposed to figure that one out is beyond me.
John
Just to add one to the list of strange intersections: In Akron, Ohio you can stand at the intersection of West North St. and North West St.
Akron also has street signs that read EVA AVE, which appeals to my sense of the symetrical.
Akron also has an exit off of I-77 onto Lovers Lane.
Lois Lane is in Northfield, Michigan
ARM
Pounds on Wood wrote:

How about the south side of Chicago, they have 25th St and 25th Place, 26th St, 26th Place, etc. Mark
Pounds on Wood wrote:

In Des Moines Iowa, there is one street that undergoes _five_ name changes in less than 1.5 miles.
And another place where 56th Street intersects 57th Street. (I _think_ those are the right numbers, might be off by a couple -- I haven't lived there for 20+ years)
Also, Evanston, Illinois, has a street that manages 4 name changes in about 2 miles,
And then there are the *right*angle* intersections in Chicago, where it is 'Street A' to the north of the intersection, 'Street B' to the south of the intersection, 'Street C' to the west of the intersection, and 'Street *A*' to the east of the intersection.
Trying to give somebody directions, that involves one of -those- intersections is *great* fun.
Then you get these 'newer' developments, where all the streets are laid out on curves, for 'looks', and to slow the traffic down. Frequently, it is "not obvious" what street is what, on the far side of the intersection. (sometimes the streets actually cross, sometimes they just 'came together', and the 'northermost' one _remains_ the northernmost one on the far side of the intersection.)

SWMBO had shoulder surgery. Before they put the IV in, they gave a black marker to her and told her to write something on the shoulder indicating that it should be operated on.
Remember, half of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of thier class.
Jay
Jay wrote: [snip]

my sil had knee surgeries and was always told to write "yes, this is the one" kinds of stuff on the knee to be cut and "no..." on the other. Just gives you that leeeeeeeeeeetle extra edge that can save you major problems.
Reminds me of the story of the guy who went to his doctor demanding to be castrated. Several good "talkings-to" and some therapy sessions did not disuade him. As he was recovering in his hospital room, another man was wheeled in to the bed next to his.
"What did you have done?" our hero asked. "Something I should have had done long ago. I was finally circumcised." "Oh damn! That's the word!"
    mahalo,     jo4hn p.s. Q:What do you call the person who graduated last in his medical class?     A: Doctor.