Old Toolboxes

Greetings. I just found this group. I have been doing wood work for quite a number of years.
Is there a website around that has several designs, pictures, et cetera of old toolboxes? I am looking for ones that would hold hundreds of tools, et cetera in a number of different compartments.
Thanks,
Joe
Joseph Durham wrote:

I'm sure there are websites, but I'll have to defer to google to help you find them. However, you might check out "The Toolbox Book" by Tolpin/Taunton Press. I've read "The Workbench Book" (also through Taunton), and that was excellent - good history, informative, useful tips, helpful examples, etc. Good luck, Andy
I bought "the toolbox book" and found it to be very inspirational.
LeeValley doesn't stock it anymore, but Amazon says they have it.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)58153306/ref=sr_1_1/103-9462676-4155062?ie=UTF8&s=books
Mike www.ottawawood.com

Joseph Durham wrote:

I think you have to narrow it down a bit. What sort of tools exactly? How big of a box? Is it meant to be carried to job sites or does it sit in the shop? Wall-hung? Rollaway?
If you build something like this http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/tool_chest_made_by_studley.htm post some pictures when you're done...in five or ten years. ;)
Ricod,
thank you so much for posting this. At my local woodcraft they have this exact picture (poster size) hanging around. However, I don't know where ot get a copy of it. Does anybody?
Joe

Have a look at my website - Projects - A Tradesman's Tool Chest.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
Joseph Durham wrote:

While the Studley Tool Chest is probably at the high end of the spectrum and an old kitchen cabinet with pegboard on the inside of the doors is the other, the one I did falls on the Studley side of the midpoint. I've got over 100 tools in this thing and there's room for some more small modules but I lost interest. No ebony or ivory (handy to work for a piano maker, which Studley did), no inlays or turned and fluted half columns etc. but it provides a home for a S**T Load of hand tools and little things we acquire and use semi-regularly.
Here's one of two I did that may give you some ideas. Doing the carcase and doors then making modules for the various tools and things gives you options to change or rearrange things - and can utilize much of the "Not enough to make a piece of furniture out of but too nice to throw away or burn" wood you've no doubt stashed in every nook and cranny in your shop (or am I the only one who does that?).
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/RightToolCabinet.html
And here's some details and specifics about dimensions and how it's hung on the wall - french cleats are handy.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/WallToolCabinetDesign.html
Hmmmm- now that I have a lathe - maybe some turned rosewood half columns, perhaps with flutes? NOT!
Next to making a real woodworking bench to suit the types of things you do, making a tool cabinet is the second Right of Passage on the woodworking journey - very specific to your needs and tools.
And trust me - if they have a home to return to, especially if they have their own room - tools won't run away and hide from you. (If you put your tool cabinet near - within a step or two - of your workbench, you'll put things away so you can find them again the next time you need them - AND you'll free up some benchtop space).
Hope this helps.
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

WOW!
Nice work!
charlie b wrote:

Do we still call those French cleats, or are they Freedom Cleats now?
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:10:16 -0400, "Joseph Durham"

I think that your request is at least a bit of a contradiction. Old timers did not have many tools - at least not like today. My grandfathers shop was well known where I grew up and as a boy it was extensive and elaborate to me. However, compared to the typical shop today it is/was quite humble I guess. Especially related to woodworking, the toolboxes of yesteryear are most likely going to be fairly modest. Timothy Juvenal (sp?) reads this group and it is my impression that he might have real knowledge on this subject.
Good Luck!
Joseph Durham wrote:

You have to buy the plans though,but if your a pro woodworker the pics can give incentive.
http://tinyurl.co.uk/mbyt
http://www.mytoolstore.com/gerstner/41d.html
http://www.plansnow.com/classicplans.html
--