Old Toolboxes

Greetings. I just found this group. I have been doing wood work for quite a number of years.

Is there a website around that has several designs, pictures, et cetera of old toolboxes? I am looking for ones that would hold hundreds of tools, et cetera in a number of different compartments.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Durham

I'm sure there are websites, but I'll have to defer to google to help you find them. However, you might check out "The Toolbox Book" by Tolpin/Taunton Press. I've read "The Workbench Book" (also through Taunton), and that was excellent - good history, informative, useful tips, helpful examples, etc. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I think you have to narrow it down a bit. What sort of tools exactly? How big of a box? Is it meant to be carried to job sites or does it sit in the shop? Wall-hung? Rollaway?

If you build something like this

some pictures when you're done...in five or ten years. ;)

RicodJour

"Joseph Durham" wrote

Have a look at my website - Projects - A Tradesman's Tool Chest.

Jeff G

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

While the Studley Tool Chest is probably at the high end of the spectrum and an old kitchen cabinet with pegboard on the inside of the doors is the other, the one I did falls on the Studley side of the midpoint. I've got over 100 tools in this thing and there's room for some more small modules but I lost interest. No ebony or ivory (handy to work for a piano maker, which Studley did), no inlays or turned and fluted half columns etc. but it provides a home for a S**T Load of hand tools and little things we acquire and use semi-regularly.

Here's one of two I did that may give you some ideas. Doing the carcase and doors then making modules for the various tools and things gives you options to change or rearrange things - and can utilize much of the "Not enough to make a piece of furniture out of but too nice to throw away or burn" wood you've no doubt stashed in every nook and cranny in your shop (or am I the only one who does that?).

And here's some details and specifics about dimensions and how it's hung on the wall - french cleats are handy.

Hmmmm- now that I have a lathe - maybe some turned rosewood half columns, perhaps with flutes? NOT!

Next to making a real woodworking bench to suit the types of things you do, making a tool cabinet is the second Right of Passage on the woodworking journey - very specific to your needs and tools.

And trust me - if they have a home to return to, especially if they have their own room - tools won't run away and hide from you. (If you put your tool cabinet near - within a step or two - of your workbench, you'll put things away so you can find them again the next time you need them - AND you'll free up some benchtop space).

Hope this helps.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I think that your request is at least a bit of a contradiction. Old timers did not have many tools - at least not like today. My grandfathers shop was well known where I grew up and as a boy it was extensive and elaborate to me. However, compared to the typical shop today it is/was quite humble I guess. Especially related to woodworking, the toolboxes of yesteryear are most likely going to be fairly modest. Timothy Juvenal (sp?) reads this group and it is my impression that he might have real knowledge on this subject.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Joe Bemier

WOW!

Nice work!

Reply to
RayV

I bought "the toolbox book" and found it to be very inspirational.

LeeValley doesn't stock it anymore, but Amaz>> Greetings. I just found this group. I have been doing wood work for >> quite

Reply to
Mike Mac

You have to buy the plans though,but if your a pro woodworker the pics can give incentive.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
boorite

Ricod,

thank you so much for posting this. At my local woodcraft they have this exact picture (poster size) hanging around. However, I don't know where ot get a copy of it. Does anybody?

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Durham