old style clamps

i have never seen clamps like this
http://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_7oTtPruCOXe_600x450.jpg
took me a minute to recognize them for clamps
big collection of them too
On 3/3/2016 7:31 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Yep them there clamps.
--
Jeff

Nice thing is you have the two clamping ends and the length of wood you need and cut the sawtooth pattern only where you need them. Custom the size of a house or a thimble.
Martin
On 3/3/2016 6:31 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 21:53:10 -0600

would be a versatile clamp to have when something needs clamping and is an odd size
i think i saw the same idea in a modern design that used a 2x4 with the clamp fitting on each end of the 2x4 but do not remember where i saw those
This is the wood version of cast iron pipe clamps. My cast iron versions I can put on any length of pipe and clamp. The only issue is they are not super strong and they don't have very large faces. The pipe is strong and can be extended with connectors adding pipes.
Bar clamps are fixed.
Martin
On 3/4/2016 10:16 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 20:21:22 -0600

yeah their strength would be a problem but i have never seen them before and it is always interesting to see tool heritage and consider the refinements over time with the other post mention of the bench dogs i am surprised that solution was not used in the past because i think that is a much stringer setup
Buying a strong board that will hold the holes when pulled or pushed upon would be expensive.
I have some 18' 4x4's in Red Oak. They are only 2 years in drying and the log was 30 some odd inches in diameter. I have a bunch of them. Total was 74. But many are shorter.
One has to be able to pickup the wood, the wood has to have strength from tear-out.
Dogs are great on thick hard benches. Fair in pine or fur.
Martin
On 3/5/2016 10:01 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 21:17:58 -0600

a doug fir 2x4 would be very strong in that direction
and easy to repurpose
a good backup at least if you get into a gluing situation and realize you need more clamps
On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 13:15:18 -0800, Electric Comet

No, it's not. A 2x4 will twist very easily. Since the force is only on one side of the board, it will warp and/or twist.