Old Stains Still Usable?

Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have some old stains that have been sitting in the basement at least 15 years. Are they still any good? They are Behlen Master Solar Lux and Watco Danish Oil.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Brown

Well, I cannot see them from here so I don't know if they are any good or not. I have some that are 25 plus years old. Are they still good? Yes, yes they are.

Try the stains out on scraps and see what happens.

Reply to
Leon

Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances.

This comes up every once and a while, and it never ceases to amaze me. How much time and effort have you put into your project? How much do you have invested in material? Is it worth taking a chance on the final part of the project, the finishing, to use 15 year old $4 can of stain. I know Watco is more than stain, but still at Woodcraft Watco is only $11 for a quart.

I know some here sneer a the manufacturer's guidelines on any product since they feel they know the manufacturer's product best. And some are lucky and get away with all kinds of hijinks. Solvent based finsihes begin to catalyze from the moment they hit air. How much and how usable the product is depends on the amount of time, the temperature, etc., of how much air was in the can and how long it sat. I wouldn't use the stain on anything where I was going to put a finish on top of it.

But on the other hand if you are going to use it on something like staining a birdhouse or step stool, why not? Pop it open, stir it up, and try it out on something. You should know in a few days after application whether or not it is usable or not. Compatible with top coats.... see the first sentence to this reply. You might not know the answer to that one for some time.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Solar Lux doesn't catalyze (it's only dye and alcohol) and has a long, long, shelf life if capped. I'd simply test it on scrap.

I'd throw the Watco out.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Gary Brown wrote: > Hi and Happy Holidays, >

Why bother?

A brand new can of WoodKote gel stain is less than $20 including sales tax.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett