Old sander broke. What do I want?

I'm seeing a whole new product idea now, a layer cake of three different grits, then friction-activated poly, steel wool, poly, steel wool, paste wax, buffer., all to fit a "Roomba"-type robot sander. We could get Ron Popeil to sell it "Just set it...and forget it!".
Greg Guarino
Greg Guarino wrote:

And that's not all - if you order in the next fifteen minutes, we'll also send you our new in-line sawdust compactor attachment that compresses your sawdust into easy-to-dispose-of #2 biscuits!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

ONLY $ 25.95!!!
*whispers* 3 payments of
ONLY $ 25.95!!! . . *whispers* plus shipping and handling.
Translation: $ 140.00 by the time it gets to your door.

must.
You
Ok, thanks. Fortunately, I did buy the variable speed ROS. http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID34

may
must.
Misread your message. My ROS is variable speed, but I don't have a variable speed vac per se, however it does have adjustable air flow inlet on the hose. I'm hoping that can do the same thing.
wrote in message

You should be fine.
Greg Guarino wrote:

I've been watching this thread with interest, and I'm really intrigued that no one has mentioned air power. A couple of years ago a fellow woodworker turned me on to Dynabrade sanders and they're such a joy to use that I've all but thrown away my electric sanders:
http://www.dynabrade.com/dyn09/content.php?page=lit or more specifically: http://www.dynabrade.com/pdf/lit/D0701Sect/D0701_pg44-59ROS.pdf
The models I'm familiar with are the "Dynorbital-Spirit" and "Dynorbital Supreme".
Both styles use PSA (stick-on) paper which I've found to be cheap and easy to use (even though most people here seem to dislike it), and with a little double-sided tape you can use almost any sandpaper you danged well please.
But arguments about the style of sandpaper aside, it's the FEEL of these babies that will get you hooked. They are *much* lighter than their electric counterparts, and their low profile and center of gravity practically makes fatigue a non-issue. You do need a fairly substantial air compressor to run them (the Supreme eats a LOT of air; the Spirit is not nearly so hungry), but if you have the air power I would give these sanders serious consideration. Lots of power, and the speed is infinitely adjustable (up to the maximum of 12,000 RPM), first with an adjustment knob to regulate the incoming air pressure, then on demand by varying the amount of palm pressure you apply to the main lever.
An excellent example of a quality American made product built to last a lifetime, but the company also offers parts and repair kits if you do manage to wear something out.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
"Steve Turner" wrote:

<snip>
As you note, air supply is the issue, in the range of 15 SCFM.
For a typical home shop with only single phase power, a 5HP, 240V,1PH,60HZ motor driving a 2 stage compressor setting on a verticl 80 gal tank.
PRICE: About $1,200 + installation which will require a 2P-40A c'bkr and #8 AWG minimum, (#6 AWG preferred)..
It gets pricey in a hurry.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

No way. I've got a single stage compressor with a 60 gallon tank (3HP, 220V) and with the "Spirit" sander in continuous use the motor on the compressor only runs about 20% of the time. With the "Supreme" the motor runs quite a bit more, maybe 60% of the time. Granted, that's more compressor than the average home shop probably has, but it's not THAT out of the question. I can run the Spirit on my small Porter Cable compressor, but it does keep the motor running pretty much continuously.

A compressor equivalent to the one I'm using is a common item at the Borg, and they "only" cost about $500.
But I really wouldn't expect somebody to consider a Dynabrade sander as a replacement for an electric unless they already *have* a decent air compressor.

Did you miss the opening statements,
I'm not a real woodworker, but every once in a while I build a shelf unit or some other "box with face frame" level of project.
Leon wrote:

Well no, but since when have people in this forum ever refrained from going off on a tangent? :-) This thread's already full of that...
--
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
To reply, eat the taco.

Especially since everything is Clinton's fault.
Robatoy wrote:

Shit disturber. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

*haughty sniff*
"Moi??"

I've been using a B&D mouse as my primary sander. It's low vibration, and uses hook and loop sand paper. The big selling point when it was new was the shape, as it comes to a point in the front to get in to corners.
There is no dust collection at all, but other than that it's a pretty decent tool.
I built a sander out of an old lathe, and initially used PSA sand paper with a pine backing board. It worked great until I wanted to change grits. I figured once the paper is removed it's not worth trying to get back on. So a short time later I upgraded to a H&L replacement disk.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.
Greg Guarino wrote:

I concur with Phisherman. I bought a Milwalkee random orbit sander with hook and loop, or my wife did for my birthday, a few months back. My only complaint is, "Why didn't I do this years ago!" I have a Dewalt palm sander than now is like "Mr. Mop" on the Swifter commercials.
Deb
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:32:20 -0500, Dr. Deb wrote:

I haven't used Milwaukee, but it seems to have a good rep. But I'm surprised nobody has mentioned either Bosch or Festool. Festool is a bit pricey, but I've had a Bosch ROS for many years and it does everything well except dust collection - I understand the newer ones are better at that.

Part of the orig. request was "under $100". I don't think you are allowed to enter the Festool section of the store for under $100.

Some stores require you to have at least a hankerchief (there's a word I haven't heard/seen/used in a long time!) to catch the drool. :-)
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

I thought that was to wipe the tears from your eyes when you saw the prices.