Old Piano Refinishing

My daughter and I re-did an old Whulitzer upright and it turned out beautiful. We used Dad's paint remover from Wal-Mart, sanded then stained and covered with 3 coats of Min-Wax poly. It turned out quite nice and has been a durable finish.
Don't over sand least you go through the veneer.
Don Dando
Thank you for the advice. I will certainly consider it. I am lucky as it is solid wood and not veneered

Just a reminder that many of the flat parts of a piano will come off so you can take them out to the garage, lay them flat, and have a much easier time finishing them. The lid, and the two panels above and below the keyboard for example. Bob

If instead of using poly you use varnish.....5-6 coats with light sanding using 320 between, you can really bring up the finish by buffing with 3-M Finess it and a slow speed buffer.