old parlor table and chairs legit, topical post!

Hi,

I have just posted 5-6 pictures in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. The titles are "old parlor table and chairs".

These are pictures of an old parlor table and chairs from my Grandfather's house. They date from very roughly the turn of the century.

I looked 'em over, and can't figure out what to make of them. There is obviously a lot of hard work and craftsmanship behind them. At the same time, the wood is extremely soft, partly from drying up with age, partly because it's inherently soft. Not ideal for such ornate furniture. The wood is quite yellowish and has been stained the dark mahogany color you see. Has a small knot or two visible here and there. There's this interesting veneer on the table. Oh yeah, they are from a home in West Central Pennsylvania.

Could this originate from a local craftsman working with local woods?

I filled some deep cracks on the base underside with dyed epoxy, a few things like that :-) Also removed an iron brace somebody screwed in where one of the feet was breaking off. The marble top is really heavy.

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs