Old,old timber posts

I have a 100 + year old building that will be coming down. It has 10"x10" posts on 8'x12' centers...hundreds of them. I don't know what species but they are hard as rock. Is it worth trying to find out what they are, find a market and salvage these?
Could be old-growth pine. We took down an old corn crib a few years ago. Beautiful wood. We sanded it down and removed all the nails so that it could be resawed on a bandsaw without ruining the blade. Made some wonderful bookcases in the church pastor's office.
Tom Gardner nospam wrote:

Where are you located?

Cleveland Ohio
Tom Gardner wrote:
> Cleveland Ohio
What part?
Your post almost makes me want to come back<G>.
Lew

Near East side, Buckeye/Woodland area...E.82nd street. Mapquest: 2680 Lisbon
Tom Gardner wrote:
> Near East side, Buckeye/Woodland area...E.82nd street. Mapquest: 2680 > Lisbon
Small bloody world.
I lived a couple of different places, while going to school, just off Buckeye or as it was known back then "pesht blvd" since it was a first generation Hungarian neighborhood.
Lew

Not too many Hungarians left.
Tom Gardner wrote:

I hear ya.
Times change, people and neighborhoods also change.
From memory, you must be somewhere near the old facilities of that fastner manufacturing outfit that moved to Mentor and later, either sold out or was shut down.
Can't remember the name of the company.
Lew
Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

Tom
Does a bear live in the woods? Yes there sure is. They will bring plenty where I live. Particularly if you clean out the nails etc.
Bob AZ

I guess so, cacti just don't take a finish very well :)
Scorp
snipped-for-privacy@telus.net wrote:
Scorp
You might be surprised. And then if what you were doing is legal.
I have three saguaros on my property and there is a permit involved if I want to do anything with them. Except to hire a cactus surgeon if they are in trouble. I am sure he pays a fee to be in this business also.
At any rate the timbers in question have got to be worth $250.00 each if I read the HD costs correctlty. And then again much more if they are real hardwood etc.
Bob AZ
Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

Tom, I emailed you direct to snipped-for-privacy@ohiobrush.com .
Those timbers are valuable. JP

There are many businesses that recycle timbers like these. Some of the timber frame house companies do this or work with compinies that do. Just about any kind of old big wood will be valuable to somebody. Many luxury homes claim recycled timbers like these.

Tom, try to see if the building was ever used to store alcoholic beverages..........then check out this site: http://www.whiskeywood.com/site / Pretty cool huh! Good luck Lyndell
P.S. I need to place an order for some wire brushes. I keep getting busy and forgetting. Anyway let me know if you are going to offer some of these timbers on a buy and pick up basis. I may want a few of these. Always looking for something to turn or build with. Someone with a bandsaw could rip them to dimensional sizes.

I sell to the public...no problem there, call toll-free: 888-411-3265 Timbers are still supporting the building, so you would have to take one and run real fast.
snipped-for-privacy@ohiobrush.com says...

Which old factory is coming down now, Tom? There have been a number removed around W 117th Street. One old factory that my wife used to work in about 20 years ago looks like it needs to go...
-- Dennis
says...

We are on the near-east side. Buckeye/Woodland area. Mapquest 2680 lisbon

I have been driving right by there the past week. We rebuilt two porches on 128th Street just off Buckeye. I have to go back to one to finish some trim, I'll take a peek at your project. The timber sounds like it should be quite 'sellable'. A guy I worked with tore down old buildings and sold the timber and he even went to adjoining states to get buildings.
-- Dennis

Stop by anytime m-f 10-5. Call me at 216-791-3265, I'll show you.