Old Man's Hands

Page 1 of 3
Tonight was the first time that I noticed it.
I have wrinkles on my hands.
It never occurred to me that the wrinkles on my face , which did not bother me, might have a replication on my hands.
My hands look, somehow, reptilian.
Now, I am a reasonably young man, at 56 - reasonably so, or so I tell myself.
But - can these hands, which seem so unreasonably wrinkled, be capable of what I want them to do?
I thought my hands to be younger than myself. Damn...
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

My 56th was last month, and I've noticed the same thing. More than before, not as smooth or resilient as they once were.
Kind of like the rest of my body.
They still work, but that's not where the money is made. The mind is. And that's a bit more wrinkled than it once was, too.
Patriarch, your age, with grandkids visiting this week...
You know Pat - I don't think that I am as sharp as I once was.
But there is a balancing factor.
We have been around for a long time.
We have seen ideas, trends, given realities of whatever realm we are in, people who started out hot and then were forgotten, several different theories of the origin of man and the universe, etc., etc., etc....
But we have always had one thing to hold onto -
beer
thank gosh for that.
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:03:26 -0500, Patriarch

Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

You don't know the half of it... As a 53 year old rock climber I dread the day that my hands won't do what they did last year; but it is inevitable. It will kinda kill the sport. I can't see that a few years makes any difference in woodworking.
Tom Watson wrote:
> Tonight was the first time that I noticed it. > > I have wrinkles on my hands.
Welcome to the REAL world.
Remember some years ago asking the dermatologist about some spots on the back of my hands.
He looked and said, "Too many candles on the cake."
Lew
Ya know Lew, I sorta like them, now that I've gotten a little used to looking at them.
I never really looked at my hands much but they look like honest working man's hands to me.
I'm going to take some pictures of them this weekend and put them up on abpw - maybe we should all put them up anonymously and try to guess who they belong to.
hah!
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:11:53 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Tom Watson wrote:
> Ya know Lew, I sorta like them, now that I've gotten a little used to > looking at them.
When they start reminding you of a lizard, you know you have aged well<G>
Lew
Ya know Lew, I sorta like them, now that I've gotten a little used to looking at them.
I never really looked at my hands much but they look like honest working man's hands to me.
I'm going to take some pictures of them this weekend and put them up on abpw - maybe we should all put them up anonymously and try to guess who they belong to.
hah!
I think that's kind of a neat idea... but the anonymous part might be a bit hard to pull off.
Kate

Easy enough to change the settings in your newsreader for one post, then change them back...
The ones posting through Google Groups would probably need to open a new, throwaway account.
--
Regards,
I am 52 and when my dad died in '02, I inherited is masonic ring with a nice diamond in it. I wear it occassionally, and on one trip to my sister's house, we were sitting at the table talking, and she looked at my hand and said, "that looks like daddy's hand!!!"
Tom Watson wrote:

probably not... they just look like his...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Naw, now they are Manly hands.
With wrinkles comes greater wisdom and understanding. With scars comes experience. Your hands are just showing good traits.

Hello Tom, You're still a young sprout even though your hands are aging. Consider the alternatives. I believe it was Shaw (maybe Twain) who when considering his advancing number of years said, " I always hoped in my case He'd make an exception." Joe G

Well thanks TOM!
I knew everything else was going to hell, but I hadn't noticed the hands until I saw your post.
Geesssshhh:^}!
RonB
Tom Watson wrote:
| But - can these hands, which seem so unreasonably wrinkled, be | capable of what I want them to do?
Hail, mortal!
Perhaps they're telling you that their days are not without end - and reminding you that the days remaining to do those things most important to you are also not without end.
Perhaps they're encouraging you to consider more carefully what it is that you want them to do.
Perhaps there never were as many tuits (round or otherwise) as we imagined.
Morris Dovey wrote:

At 70, my hands, and the rest of me, are probably a wee bit more wrinkled than Tom.
But, Tom, you don't have to feel old till the barber has to trim inside your ears - DAMHIKT :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

used to be a comedian that talked about just that... maybe Bobcat? he said that the hair traveled from your head to your ears and called it "mental floss"..

I like that. Unfortunately, while I've got nose and ear hair, I've also still go most of my top litter, too. I heard one editor remark to another a few years ago that I wear a rug...he'd give a billiard ball pause to check its relatives. Hell, the hair is about the only thing my father left.
Tom...don't worry about your hands until Arthur takes his bite. IME, that is a lot worse than wrinkles and age spots.
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:48:54 -0700, Charlie Self

Mom always used to say, " I know those Itis boys and Arthur is the worst of them."