Old discussion Re: Making Windows/Doors

Or do both. Scan and post to OWWM so that everyone interested (I am thinking a pretty small group) could see them. The folks that "got it" would without doubt be appreciative.

Then see what the market would bear to sell them.

It would be interesting to see if those documents are worth anything.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I doubt I'd sell them, unless they were worth a LOT of cash, which I doubt. My main interest is to tell my kids their value, along with all my other tools. My son sort of knows, and claims he wants all my stuff so I can't sell anything. Scanning them would take a lot of effort, so not likely I'd do that on a whim someone might make use of them.

The neat thing about them is not the info so much, that's available all over the place if you look. What really neat is the pictures and drawings of the cabinet makers, and their garb. I wonder if they really wore ties in the shop? I sort of doubt it, but coats and ties were worn in a lot of places that seem really strange today.

Reply to
Jack

On 03/02/2016 9:44 AM, Jack wrote: ...

I'm not aware of many (if any) place that has the depth of detail on "how to do stuff" with many of the techniques any longer. There are a zillion u-tube videos and so on, granted, but most of them I've seen referenced are amateurish or simply wrong -- then again, it's not an area I frequent so there are probably some good ones out there but the chances of finding them are pretty slim it seems.

There are some specific published books; but I don't believe even the Taunton FWW series includes the level of information on sash and doors the shaper chapter does...

Agree it would be lots of effort to actually scan 'em; was the thought I had regarding if there were a physical archive somewhere that had the resources to do it would be good. If one or more of the kids does want 'em, that's probably best can be done.

I'm certain the pictures for them were posed but certainly dress code has changed. A tie in a production shop was pretty much a no-no way back for the hazard even then, though. Altho they are wearing full aprons to keep it in some check, at least.

Reply to
dpb

1900's

Most of the family picts show men and boys wearing ties, but not too many workers as they wore overalls, seems that milkmen and mailmen wore ties in the 40's.

As to the personal value of what you have? I would consider it very high. Someone somewhere would be looking for that, and for various reasons as well.

But you are correct in that it is a extreme amount of work to scan them.

However, setting up a camera, lighting until you get a clear high definition picture slightly larger than the page just might be the ticket.

Maybe goggle might be interested in doing it in pdf format as part of their book archiving they have going on, I know they can do it without ripping the books apart, and they should be able to return them, or come to your place an scan them. You might email the archiving project to see.

I don't blame you whichever way you go, but they are indeed very valuable for info sake.

Reply to
OFWW