Old Delta 18" Wedge Bed Planer

Were the old Delta 18" wedge bed planers good? One concern I have is the fixed pressure bar design. My 12" Powermatic has a spring loaded pressure bar which seems like it would be more forgiving.
Please take the 7 out of my e-mail address when replying.
Bill wrote:

There has been a fair amount of discussion of this machine on the Yahoo OWWM site. You might want to try the archives there to see what up.
I din't play along at home but I remember vaguely something with the pressure bars. I could be wrong.
If you don't find the answerer you are welcome to join and post the question there.
UA100
I went to the link below but did not find the posts. Was it within the last few years?
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Bill wrote:

Since the forum is only a few years old, yes. I could be wrong on the discussion and whether it was the 18" wedge bed.
Tell you what. Feel free to sign on and ask again. Let the regulars know you did a search and came up wanting. Also, tell them the List Mom says, "No hog piling".
UA100
I have a Delta 18" and have had another. They can crack in the pressure bar, but it isn't a huge problem. They are easily the most compact of the heavy duty 18" planers. I have mine on a commercial Vega mobile base. Adjustments aren't bad at all. There is a trick to setting the feed rollers if you don't have the adjustment kit (most don't). Just set them flush and use shims underneath for quick adjustments to known settings. The bottom feet of the feed roller carriage is open and accessable. There is a manual on www.owwm.com. Delta still has parts.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com