Old Craftsman Table Saw-Motor Problem

Have an old Craftsman table saw. 3/4 hp motor. When I turn it on, I hear a hum but the shaft does not turn. had it reapired last summer, same problem. Is this something novice can repair? Thanks for the help. Skip
Skip wrote:

May just be the capacitor or a dirty switch/contacts. Clean it out good.
What was wrong last time? Personally, if it's very old it's under-powered for a table saw anyway and it may be time to just replace it w/ a new at least a 1 hp.
Skip wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" writes:

I agree except I'd go for 1-1/2 HP and wire it at 240V , if possible.
Lew
" it w/ a new at least a 1 hp.
I agree except I'd go for 1-1/2 HP and wire it at 240V , if possible."
Well that depends on the size of the saw. An old Craftsman 8" table saw is fine with a 3/4 hp motor, that WAS the large motor option. Besides, "the older horses" seemed to be bigger than ones today. I cut stuff without problem with my old Craftsman 3/4 hp 8" that my son has problems with on his 1-1/2 hp 10".
My guess is you are getting saw dust in the starter switch since those were open motors and it needs blowed out with compressed air.
Walt Conner
Maybe put some duct tape over the vents that face upward. Wilson

Thanks to all for the imput. The capacitor was OK, the switches needed cleaning. Thanks again. Skip
Would be interested in what size that saw is since we were talking about motor size. Glad you got it fixed.
Thanks,
Walt Conner

3/4 horse 8" blade
Good match as I thought, mine too.