Old Craftsman RA Saw needs new table

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@milbaugh.com (GreenLight) wrote in message

Make your own. The table is nothing more than plywood or particle board (usually). Remove the old table & fence. The table is most likely in two pieces. Measure your old table(s)& cut another or others from similar material. A skill saw can be used to cut the tables & fence.--Mark your new wood for the bolt holes using the old table. Drill & countersink the bolt holes. Cut a new fence using the old one for a guide. Install the new table & fence in the reverse order that you took them apart. Test for fence squareness-- Usually, RAS have adjustments on the back side of the fence to move the fence back or forward to insure that the fence is square with the blade. The last one I redid required a shim between the fence & the adjuster because I had cut the small back part of the table small on one end. It could be more difficult, but I don't see how. Make sure you take note & make drawings of how you took this apart if you are new to this-- taking pictures with a digital camera during the process would be really helpful.
I didn't bother with the small board stuff. Mine is 18' wide, set as far back as possible, almost against the blade. My fence sticks up about 1/2" above the table. My top is 1.5" particle board with 3/8 ply working surface.
I suggest you make the table 8' long, with about 3' left of the blade and a pair of legs under the right hand end. Then it's really easy to manage long pieces for ripping or crosscutting. When I was cutting big framing for my house, I had a 16' table.
You have to have the book to set the table in proper orientation to the carriage, unless you want to do a lot of observation before starting. Once the table is on, there are several steps to alignment.
These things have their limitations, but I wouldn't be without one! It's safer than a TS, IMHO, but still has plenty of ways to hurt you. The neat thing is that for most cuts you are away from the blade and for crosscuts your extra hand is firmly planted on the table.\
Sears used to sell a little book that gave instructions for many RAS operations. It's worth having.
Wilson

Two suggestions for your new RAS:
Purchase a copy of "How To Master The Radial Saw" by Wally Kunkel http://mrsawdust.com it's a complete guide to your RAS and make your new table to the design suggested in this book. It's a steel reinforced two layer table.
Good luck!
--
Rumpty

snipped-for-privacy@milbaugh.com (GreenLight) wrote in message

Do a google search for "craftsman radial arm recall". Find your saw's serial number. Call or surf to the recall site and give them the serial number. Get a free new table and guard system delivered to your home in a couple of weeks. Install the new table. Cut a piece of anything flat about 3" to 4" wide and use for a fence. Done.
On the off chance that isn't one of the saws eligible for the recall, follow all the other suggestions to make a table.
Dave Hall
snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us (David Hall) wrote in message

I found information about the recall, but it seemed to only relate to the blade guard. It doesn't say anything about the table. Here is a link to one of the recall notices: http://www.recall-warnings.com/cpsc-content-01-01031.html

Since the NEW & SAFE blade guard will lessen the cross cut capacity of the saw by about an inch they also send you a new table...
My old Craftsman saw is too old to qualify for the recall and is still worth more then 100 bucks to me (even though I have not moved it off a 90 degree cut in 25 years...so I did not "bite" for the recall..
Bob Griffiths
snipped-for-privacy@milbaugh.com (GreenLight) wrote in message

Everyone I know of who applied for the recall (including me) received both a new guard and a new table. The reason for the new table is that the new guard sticks out a little more than the old guard and thus requires the fence to be pushed a little further to the front and thus it is required to effectively install the new guard and meet the requirements of the recall.
Dave Hall
On 15 Sep 2004 05:25:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@milbaugh.com (GreenLight) wrote:

Oh well, my saw is not eligible (NO KIT AVAILABLE). It is a model 113.23111
I responded to the recall notice several years ago and got a new table and blade guard. The new table is hard pressed particleboard like the old one only thicker. I had to drill one hole in it as the factory hole on the table was slightly out of place but other than that it is working fine.
RonT
GreenLight wrote:

Regardless of what the notice says a new table comes in the box with the new guard.
It's free regardless, so even if it doesn't come with a table you haven't lost anything but a little time.
--
--John