Old Craftsman Band Saw

This saw was given to me by my uncle. I was wondering if anyone can identify how old this saw is and whether or not it would be worth the time to refurbish it. It is a 12" saw on what looks like a homemade base
Thanks, Todd L
http://img15.exs.cx/img15/6025/saw1.jpg
http://img15.exs.cx/img15/1470/saw2.jpg
http://img15.exs.cx/img15/7915/nameplate.jpg
http://img15.exs.cx/img15/9030/serial.jpg

That's a good saw. What's wrong with it? It would be worth fixing almost anything.
GTO(John)
Todd L wrote:

Ayup Craftsman band saw all right. I have a model 103.0103 built in about 1940. Yours is a bit newer, perhaps early post WWII. Unfortunately, Sears no longer carries parts for it. You can get blades and tires (e.g. Suffolk Machinery (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com /) and other places. I have cool blocks for the blade guides and they work fine. Otherwise you are on your own and what you can get from volunteers either here or at http://owwm.com .
I keep a small 1/8 blade on it and use it for toys and other stuff with tight angles. Nice piece of machinery. Clean it up and use it in good health.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Thanks, I think I will fix'er up when time allows. I have a friend who can sandblast and powder coat the shell for a nominal fee. I'll post some pics when I get the job done.
Todd L

identify

It looks very similar to what I've got. From the style of the sheet-metal cover, I'd guess yours is an earlier vintage than mine, but from what I can see in the photos, it looks almost identical mechanically. I would not be surprised if Sears still stocks parts for it (they do for mine).
Mine comes on a stand, with a Craftsman-branded 1/3 HP motor. I bought mine for $100, and put another $100 or so into fixing it up (new bearings, tires, and guards from Sears, after-market blade guides, and blades from Timberwolf). It works fine.
I've even managed to resaw some 6" hardwood, but with the underpowered motor it was more to prove it was possible than anything practical to do on a regular basis. Yours looks like it's got a bigger motor, so you've probably got a more useful machine than I do.
Could be as late as the early/mid 60's. It's a King Seeley in case you wanted to know/need something else to search AlGore'sWorldWideWeb with.
As has been mentioned, go to the OWWM. You'll maybe find catalogs and some dirty paper on the saw.
UA100
Be sure to free up the blade guides below the table and adjust when changing blades. They are easily overlooked. I have a slightly newer one and it's fine. Wilson

identify

Is there some trick to doing this easily? I've got almost the same saw, and adjusting the lower guides is a real pain.