Old circular saw blades

Didn't I see a discussion here some months ago about a recycling service for old circular saw blades? I'm looking for the best way to get rid of some of these old blades (and no, they're *not* worth sharpening; most of them were "thrown in" with the RAS I bought on Craig's List this past year).

Reply to
Steve Turner

On 11/29/2009 4:25 PM Steve Turner spake thus:

Concerning sharpening, how do you know they're not worth it? Do you have a good sharpening service near you?

I do--Standard Saw Works in downtown Oakland. Love the place; they've been there since forever (1920-something). Don't charge very much and do an excellent job on both steel and carbide blades.

So far as recycling goes, any scrap metal dealer should be happy to take them (but they won't give you anything for them).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

=================================

My local hardware store has an exchange plan for 7-1/4" blades

If you have a store in your area with a similar plan, might be able to donate your blades to the pile in exchange for maybe a pack of sandpaper or something else of like value.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

of some of these old blades ...

Do you know anyone who does blacksmithing? They might take them --- I've seen some nice knives made from saw blades.

Reply to
joeljcarver

Paint pictures on them: A fish, dog, guail, woodland scene, etc. It doesn't have to be perfect. Hang them in your shop. Got an old rust hand saw, cross-cut saw, do the same. Old wooden shingles or old slate shingles work, too. If you can't paint, get your kids to paint on them. Kids like painting flowers and are easy to paint.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I just store them in a box near the GBOC. I'm sure they will prove useful someday....

Tim Douglass

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."

Reply to
Tim Douglass

Make tacky pukey duck clocks out of them.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:54:30 -0800 (PST), the infamous Sonny scrawled the following:

Guail? Are those small forest birds from Guam?

Sorry, Sonny, but painting old saw blades is a cardinal sin. It's almost as bad as shopping at Searz!

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:13:08 -0800 (PST), the infamous Luigi Zanasi scrawled the following:

See my last post, WeeGee.

P.S: Did you ever make it -out- of California? Politics and smog notwithstanding, it's a beautiful and scenic state with many wonders to explore. You'll have to come back with Marilyn on your next winter vacation to see more of it.

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL. I missed that typo

I wasn't aware of some taboo in that regard. What's the reasoning for not doing so?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Oh, I'm pretty sure I know a POS blade when I see one. Do the brand names "Vermont American" or "Credo" mean anything to you? Probably the best blade in the bunch is a Delta Sidekick, and I'm not likely to spend the $10 or $15 it would cost to sharpen $20 blade.

Yes I do, but I can't remember the name of the company. It's actually a service offered by my local Woodcraft (Austin), and the sharpening company comes into town once a week to pick up the blades, then returns them the next week. My understanding is the company is somehow affiliated with Forrest, and they do a wonderful job on my "Woodworker" blades.

Reply to
Steve Turner

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 07:48:42 -0800 (PST), the infamous Sonny scrawled the following:

It's just tacky to me. Go ahead if you like that gauche sort of thing. As to Searz, everyone has their little horror stories about that entity. I gave my bucket of blood and pound of flesh to them when I was an auto mechanic. Each handtool that broke, and sent my hand or arm into another sharp object, just made it worse...

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just as an experiment, I once had a cheap (5$?) HF TS blade resharpened. Cost me $12 to get it sharpened but it cut far better after sharpening than it had when new. Still not exactly a WWII.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

On 11/30/2009 7:35 PM Tim Douglass spake thus:

I was going to say, even a brang-new blade can benefit from a good sharpening from a competent saw service. My place (Standard Saw in Oakland) regularly does this for its customers.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl