Old Church pews

Just a few blocks from my apartment an old church building is being remodeled and updating their seating arrangements. They have about ten all wood pews about 15 feet long stacked outside their building. These are probably the original pews from when the church was built in the 1920's. They appear to be solid wood (Walnut or Mahogany?). It rained on them Friday night and that can't be a good thing. If any of you live in the Lincoln, Nebraska area drop me an E-Mail < R-D- snipped-for-privacy@neb.rr.com > and I will tell you where they are and try to get some contact information for you.
DL
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:14:21 -0700 (PDT), TwoGuns

Most pews are OAK.
> and I will tell you where they are and try to get

Except for the ones that are not http://www.pewman.com/productpews.htm These pews are constructed of either solid oak or maple hardwoods of the finest grades. Other woods can be used for pew construction (such as cherry and mahogany) upon request.
http://www.churchtownpews.com / Pews: 1. 1 very old pine pews, 8 ft. 7. White Chestnut pews. They have been stained dark
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:08:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Not too many walnut or mahogany though----- I've seen lots of (mostly backless) backless pine "benches" in old mennonite meeting houses but the majority of older (1920-1960) wooden "pews" in this area are oak. Some elm. Some of the newer ones are Maple or ash. I guess the locale would have some bearing as local hardwoods would often be used. In the middle eastern states American Chestnut may well have been common - and perhaps Cherry - but up here those woods would have been "exotic", and although Black Walnut was "native" and "local" it was generally used for fine furniture and veneer. Oak seams to be pretty well universally available for furnishings in the Northern Hemisphere.
> and I will tell you where they are and try to get

Ayah, Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain ... ;o)
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:51:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I thought you put your Ash in a pew.
Might take a little work - but if it is real solid wood, might be a source of old growth - wide boards that have stabilized.
Hate to see something like that happen - might have been a gift from a cattle man years ago - and now a new group goes for Stainless ?
Martin