Okay to put polyurethane over shellac?

I知 getting ready to finish a cherry kitchen buffet. I知 thinking of using a few coats of shellac first for the color and to seal and fill the wood - followed by satin polyurethane to protect it. Any problem with this approach? I like using shellac because it dries so fast.
Thanks, Scott

Not a problem.
Bob
Polyurethane over shellac is OK as long as the shellac is dewaxed.
I always use 4 parts alchohol to 1 part dewaxed shellac after staining and before polyurethaning. It seals the wood (Some folks call it sizing). and raises the grain, allowing me to make it slick and smooth. It works well as a finish too. I have used it on some kids toys too.
John
Polyurethane over shellac is OK as long as the shellac is dewaxed.
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 21:04:17 -0500, Scott Duncan

You'll be fine, IF the shellac is dewaxed.
Dewaxed shellac can be bought as flakes, Zinnser Sealcoat, or Zinnser aerosol spray clear. Zinnser canned orange and clear contain wax and should not be used under polyurethane.
Dewaxed shellac is a great barrier coat between different finishes.
Barry
Waxy shellac is O.K. under oil based varnishes not water based. Consider clear finish for transparency and no risk of lap marks compared to satin. Final sheen can be managed by rubbing the clear finish.
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:05:06 GMT, B a r r y