OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 9 of 16
Rick wrote:

Yeah, sumpin' like that. I'll save this post for later. Thanks.

I doubt it. I've never found WINE to be particularly useful for anything.

I find it very useful. Most women like it and . . . . . . . . .

Ahh, pantie remover....:)

So why is a certified LINUX geek who can network driving a truck for a job?
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Have you looked at any of the help wanted ads for Linux geeks?
I'm not selling myself short here. I'm just really not remotely qualified for any job I've ever seen advertised. The home desktop arena where I play has almost nothing in common with the corporate world. I've never used a computer in a professional setting, except for a brief stint working as a typist in a copy center in college, and I have no computer experience. No training, no education, just a couple decades as a competent hobbiest. I've never worked in an office environment either.
Plus I guess I tolerate it pretty well. I could talk about it for quite a long time, both the ups and downs. There are ups, there are downs. Everything is always a balancing act. Up, having a lot of time off. Down, having to work ridiculous hours during busy times. Up, being free to do my job my own way, without being micromanaged. Down, spending long periods of time by myself, without any coworkers to socialize with. Up, paying the bills. Down, having a job I'm just not really very proud of, because I have the intellectual potential to do more exciting sounding things.
I guess on balance, the thing that bothers me most of all is not having any friends to spend time with in person. I'm not a very sociable guy to start with, but I used to have some semblance of a social life. That all ended eight years ago, and I live a very solitary life now. I have my family, the people on the other side of a computer monitor, and a couple of people who work in furniture stores in distant cities. Most of that time this doesn't really bother me at all, but sometimes it does. I guess even hermits like me like to have a little human contact now and again.
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:15:06 -0500, Silvan

Well, Glenn misspelled "certifiable" and you misspelled "hobbyist." I guess that makes you even. ;)
I'm fairly certain that the idiots who write up want ads have never even heard of the technologies they require for any given job. Some seem to want people younger than 22 with a Bachelors in Arts, a Masters in Computer Sciences, and a PHD in something else, know 27 different computer languages fluently, be able to levitate, etc. Oh, and they're offering minimum wage + perqs.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
Larry Jaques wrote:

Hmm. I think you /are/ selling yourself short.

A year after NT was released, I remember seeing an ad looking for someone with 5 years of NT experience. (:
BTW, when the unpaid overtime is figured in, a lot of the young software H1B types ended up making /far/ less than minimum wage. I recall 7 young Indian programmers in San Jose sharing an apartment because none of them could afford a single bedroom unit of their own. When I asked if it wasn't uncomfortably crowded, the answer I got was there were almost never more than two or three at home - because the other four or five would be at work. These guys typically worked twelve to eighteen hours a day and got paid for only eight. Not all the sweatshops are on the /other/ side of the Pacific rim...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Larry Jaques wrote:

I have to turn off the on-the-fly splee cheker because it makes my 2 GHz machine feel like a 200 MHz machine, and I get about 20 words ahead of it typing. I never have been able to spelee wroth a damn. In English anyway. My spelling in Spanish is damn near perfect. :)

That's an apt summary of the ads anyway, except you forgot 15 years of Linux kernel hacking experience.
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:27:54 -0500, Silvan

So write a new spel chuker, Mr. 15-y/o Linux Wiz. ;)

Right, 15 years with a 12-y/o system.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications

I can tell you. I support 20,000 IM users. The things that gets typed most are:
You there? and Can I call you?
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:43:09 -0500, Silvan

The problem is that we want to pay the minimum possible fee each month that leaves room for nothing but drones and grossly paid ceos.
Silvan wrote:

I got one the first month they were available and recently retired it. (I have a new NK at work and the change in layout of the Home End PageUp... keys changed. I wanted to have the same layout at home and at work.)
It's grungy, showing I spent many hours using it, but you can have it if you want. It was working fine when I unplugged it. Remove the obvious to reply by mail.
-- Mark
Jim Warman wrote in

Oh Man,     I remember the 44Meg HDD being huge. I also think of actually paying $200 for a 4mb RAM chip for a 486 and thinking wow, I'll bet a 50mb of RAM would make an awesome machine except it would cost 12 Grand!! Hah!
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods
Michael Burton <mhburtonatmomentdotnet> wrote:

I remember paying $800 for a CPU. Just a CPU. I probably put that damn thing on my credit card, paid $25,000 for it, and haven't paid it off yet. (Two more years. Oh the terrible, terrible price of stupidity.)
In contrast, I paid $300 for my last computer. Complete with everything but a monitor. Good grief.
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 06:39:10 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Heck, I remember when a 10MB drive was the size of a washing machine and cost the earth.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:12:08 -0800, Tim Douglass

Sounds like an RL02 drive, lift-out sets of platters.
What a pain those were. I had a friend was standing next to one when a head caught a platter and went through the case and into the wall couple of feet from him.
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:42:39 -0500, Mike Patterson

Yes! I can't recall the terminology any more, but this was a DEC installation with 2 RL02 drives.
I remember watching an entire room full of reels of tape backups get replaced with one shelf of cartridge tapes. It must have been about 1986 or so. It was also about that time that the old PDP 11/70s got ripped out and replaced with a bank of MicroVax-en.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:27:15 -0800, Tim Douglass

Yep, we sold a network management system (for our complete line of 4-wire dedicated analog modems!) that used RL02s with a PDP11/44, later replaced by 11/70s, later still with a microVax running flavors of RSX-11M.
I was regional tech support for that system for 3 years. It seemed so cool then, but looking back on it makes me wonder what things will look like in 20 years when I retire.
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Jim Warman wrote:

Because the first version of WFW didn't sell well, I've read that even the Microsofties called it "Windows for Warehouses." ;-)
-- Mark

Kind of like Windows ME?