OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Being cheap and/or sloppy is the same as thrifty or frugal...

I'm w/ Chuck on this one...the generation which survived the Depression has a whole different understanding of "need" than current ones. I, for one, am grateful that my grandfather keep so much -- now, while some of it is, in fact, not valuable, other things are fond remembrances. Plus, all the old lumber salvaged from the old chicken coop or other places and stored in the haymow for 60 years or more came in handy in the barn restoration. Not easy to find full-dimension 2x stuff anymore...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

What's with all this 'lectric clothing stuff? ANd, speaking of.. what's an electric hat?

Renata

Reply to
Renata

There's a new (to me) show about garage remodels (GT Garage Takeover?). The one I caught the other day the guy had 2 full sized dumpsters worth of crap taken away! They showed his work area in the basement,.. same story..

Not to say I couldn't use a little of that myself....

Reply to
Joel Corwith

snip

An interesting thread, many of the listed items so far, I find quite useful:

B&D Power file; good for removing small bits, but yes, it's agressive.

Dremel, good but it's more a model making tool rather than for full-size WW, very handy for chopping off bolts, etc

Biscuit Joiner; couldn't be without it.

Jap flush cut saw, excellent for trimming off little bits.

But the thing that has no redeeming features at all has to be the Ryobi detail sander. Used it once on in a small corner, a waste of time, it was FAR quicker to grab sandpaper and a small block.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

I've got both a Foredom flex shaft and a Dremel and I use them both. They're both good on the right jobs.

I even like the router attachment for some things.

Of course I do both wood and metal, as well as some lapidary.

If you like the Dremel flex-shaft, you'll _love_ the Foredom.

--RC

rcook5

Heh, heh. I may not plan on using them, but I *do* know what they are worth.

Just cause I'm dumb doesn't mean I'm a sucker.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Still build the computers, but there is no way I'm doing anything but the most minor of service on the car - mostly because I've already got several 5 gallon pails of used oil lying around. I never seem to get around to putting it into 1 gallon jugs and taking it down to the recycling depot. All the other recycling is either curbside pickup or at the drop-site just across the road. Only oil has to travel to the far side of town.

Not worth it.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

The knife and straightedge are for straight cuts across or along the entire sheet. The rotozip with guidepoint bit is for electrical boxes and door or window openings, it will cut a perfect line along the window or door faster than you can run a knife along one side and break it. As for boxes, there is just no comparison both in terms of speed and in precision. A good guy with the rotozip will never have to do any patching around an outlet.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

The older ones were awfully good. You really had to work at it to mess one up. The new ones make the guarantee essential.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Sounds like my son, except...

Boot.

Tree branch.

Rag.

Cola bottle.

Tree branch.

Tire.

Sneaker.

That poor boy never has ever caught a fish, I don't think. Of course, I'm not much of a teacher. I don't eat fish, so I don't fish. I don't know jack diddly about fishing. Obviously I've done a good job of teaching him to catch trash.

Reply to
Silvan

Wait wait! What're ya doing? That's a perfectly good machine. Is it still out there? Can I have the harddrive? How about the screen? Does it have a CDROM drive?

Yup, you're hopeless. Also.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm updating my FreeBSD ports tree at the moment...

Yup. I don't screw around with my computers at home nearly as much as I used to, I'd rather spend time with the family or in the workshops.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'll keep that in mind if the Dremel shaft goes. It's making some noises, but has been for years, so....

Reply to
Dave Hinz

How do you break a maul, exactly? I mean, aren't they _made_ to hit stuff with?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:05:55 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

One of the solid metal beasties, Minty Man. Uh, let's see... Like these Kirbys, they were sold door to door for an arm and both legs.

I was thinking of Kirby since I can't seem to find a pic of the vac I was thinking of.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:34:11 -0700, Mark & Juanita calmly ranted:

Yeah, I just came to that conclusion myself.

That's them!

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:39:35 -0500, Renata calmly ranted:

That's just what the doctors called it. We know better.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

snip of depressing litany

OK Silvan. Toss him in the car sometime and I'll teach ya both to go fishing. I'll even share one of my fishing holes with you. Last person I took there I had to teach how to clean all the catfish we caught.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Dave Hinz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

The ones _I've_ broken have been when I missed what I was trying to hit. Typically a wedge. How Michael broke his is a matter for speculation.

If you whack the handle just south of the head, say, on the edge of a massive chunk of firewood, physics tends to work against you.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Uh, ya gotta replace the bag every once in a while...

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax