OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

They make a "heavy duty" flavor that works much better. The expensive reinforced deals are much better still, but they cut a wide kerf. The regular thin ones seem likely to break if you fart out the wrong side of your pants.

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, me too, now that you mention it. I think I'm still using the cord from my original 286-12.

Though that's really not all *that* surprising. I used to actually upgrade computers, and I had the same power supply for yearrrrrs. It wasn't until the switch to ATX, and the incredible cheapness of new computers that I started getting lazy. Upgrading is a PITA keeping up with what class of this works with what type of that, and I don't bother anymore. I bought my last two computer pre-assembled. Wuss.

Reply to
Silvan

LOL! I have eight AT style power supplies. I'm thinking about tossing them, but probably won't.

I finally threw away my EGA card though.

Reply to
Silvan

You know, I was starting to feel the same way about my plunge router, until I took it out of the table to cut some dadoes, and remembered how useful it was for things other than chamfering edges and cutting ogees. Now it gets all sorts of use. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

They don't. I took in a tape measure that not only had no numbers left on the first foot and a half, but it was also missing the label and had been inadvertantly been crushed by an opening bandsaw vice. The cashier didn't even blink, just handed me a new one from under the counter.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Dave in Fairfax wrote in news:41D4A596.97ABBC97 @fairfax.com:

That's pretty much what the Shopsmith is doing now. I need a Oneway for that? ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

If you like those, you might also like the diamond grit metal cutoff wheels.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Tuning handplanes is the badge of honor amongst these fellows. Preassembled computers that upgrade their own software, and handplanes that were old when our fathers were born. Saws & chisels, too, if we can find them.

I pick my battles these days.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

SONOFABITCH!!!! Why didn't I think of that? I just *bought* a friggin' lamp cord to make a lamp on the lathe, and I've already got a couple of beheaded extension cords laying around.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Having used both, I still prefer a utility knife and a straightedge when it comes to drywall- even over a drywall saw. Never got the rotozip to do anything but cut rough, curvy lines in my nice clean sheetrock.

Reply to
Prometheus

When i get a good sized handful of sockets that need replaced I just carry them in and get the ones i want off the shelf. The cashiers normally just count how many I'm returning and how many replacements i have without actually comparing sizes. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I actually like a chamfer from a block plane rather than the round-over for many projects. And putting in a chamfer with the plane is a whole lot more fun than running a screaming router.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

1988 Sterling. British automobile need I say more?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Mark & Juanita

Yeah, the NERVE of some people!

Reply to
Silvan

Many years ago we were on a family vacation up in northern California (Trinity Lake). My daughter was about 4 at the time and I let her use one of those things. Put a very small egg hook on the end with a single salmon egg. She was spashing right near the shore with MAYBE 4 feet of line out and she caught a 4lb large mouth bass just two feet off the bank. Hmmm. That was 26 years ago. Maybe it's about time to start talking to her again. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

You forgot any book with a title that ends with "..for Dummies".

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

You know, come to think of it, I have never had to take a Crafstman socket back. Only screwdrivers and mauls so far.

Reply to
Silvan

Cute story. I was showing my son my type 11 #4 today for some reason or other... I old him it was made in about 1905, which was actually 10 years off, oops, but I didn't bother to correct myself later. He nodded, went on about his business for a moment, and then his eyes bugged when it dawned on him what I had just said. I was off, yes, but it's still pretty close to

100 years old. Possibly older than my grandfather, or at least the same age.

I'm afraid the plane will outlast him. :(

It's not even that in my case, really. I'm a Geek after all. It's just not fun anymore. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. When will my new computer be ready?

I'm thinking about taking my car to a quickie lube place too. Wuss.

Reply to
Silvan

Oh yeah, I definitely know that drill. When I was younger and pooer and searching for a way to escape my crappy dead end low wage retail job, I kept running into cleverly disguised attempts to suck people into selling those stupid things. "Air purification system salesmen wanted" and such. I got tricked into going to one of their little love-ins once. They were very careful to avoid saying the word "vacuum cleaner" on the first day. My friend and I did some math and figured out what we had gotten ourselves into, and didn't bother to go back.

Even if such a beast would actually work, I'd never get one at one of those places. People stand around all day waiting on stuff to come through the door, and then there's a stampede. Most stuff like that never gets more than 3' away from the back room doors before five people are cussing each other out over it.

Reply to
Silvan

Not about the Pocket Fisherman, but . . . . Nope! Too soon. 25-30yrs. ago, we'd go bullhead fishing after the ice left the lake. (To some of you, that may mean mudcat or yellow cat) Normal average 10-16". Youngest was around 9 or 10, could only cast about 10-15', so she was fishing in a little hole near the roots of a huge willow tree. Seemed like every 10min. she'd start in with "I got one, I got one" and RUN away from the bank, as she wasn't all that coordinated on reeling, until the fish was dragged out on the bank. Seems those darn fish just loved that little hollow, and on more than one occasion, she caught more than the rest of us put together. Still not talking to her about fishing!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow