OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

"AAvK" wrote in news:hqDAd.60959$QR1.45253@fed1read04:

Contact me on email at gmadsen at comcast dot net.

Reply to
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I thought that was what they were designed to do...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:28231-41D3304C-539@storefull-

3157.bay.webtv.net:

I buy wood that way. If it calls to me when I'm there, and have a vague notion that there might be a project in it. Or it's interesting and cheap.

Then there is the wood that turns up unplanned, that most welcome of all wood: free wood.

Even JOAT approves of that species.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

How many cutoff wheels did YOU go through? :)

The Dremel almost made it onto my list, but it's a useful tool. Just not as useful as it sounds on the box. Sure, you can do all kinds of things with it if you're verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry patient. Sometimes it is just the ticket, but I've never used probably half of the bits I have. Maybe 3/4. The wood cutting carving shaping stuff is especially useless. I can carve wood faster with a pair of tweezers.

Reply to
Silvan

It saved me on a plumbing problem. Had to replace several toilet shutoff valves and the gorilla who installed the originals crimped the compression rings into the copper pipe so deep they wouldn't slide off, even with some knarley pliers. The problem was the new valves and old valves had different threads, so I couldn't use the old nut on the new valve. The nifty dremel cutoff wheel ground almost all the way through the compression ring and a little twist with a flat blade screwdriver popped it right off. Whew, success!

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

For about the same price, I bought a DeWalt low angle grinder and a diamond cutting wheel. You can cut a lot of stuff with that rig, and very quickly.

Dremel stuff is too light duty for my Binford tastes.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

But the Dremel is tiny. It was the only tool that I had that could do the job.

Reply to
Gino

I had a Dremel go up in flames in my hands when I tried to use it as a dry wall cut out tool with a 1/8" down spiral bit.... Now that was interesting. ;-)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Wed 29 Dec 2004 12:33:04p, "the_tool_man" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Funny how that works. I bought an older Ryobi at a cabinet shop's going out of business sale for fifty bucks, worried that I was throwing money away on a tool I'd never use. And it's been real handy. Banded the edge of the workbench, my panelglueing got better, put shelves in a nightstand door. It makes aligning a lot easier and faster. I don't use it a LOT but it's sure not on my list of tools I wish I never bought.

I guess that honor goes to the first "serious" tool I ever bought - a used direct-drive Craftsman table saw. At least, I *thought* it was serious when I bought it.

Almost gave up on woodworking till I found out it might be that screaming, dancing, wobble-bladed monster. Still got the stand around here someplace.

Reply to
Dan

Rotozip. Absolutely worthless.... Gave it to my SIL. He was thrilled at the time. I don't think he has ever used it.

BUT...

I bought a Ryobi laminate trimmer, (rebuilt one to boot) and use it all the time. I keep waiting for it to burn up, so I can buy a DeWalt laminate trimmer, but it refuses to cooperate. I chuck up 1/4 bits in it all the time, especially the round-over bits, and very occasionally, even use it to trim laminate.

Observation 1: I have six routers. Bosch, Craftsman, and Skil. (I keep running across old Craftsman routers at auctions and end up picking them up for $10 and $15) As far as I can tell, they're from the early 80's. They work perfectly fine. One old boy told me that his wife bought him the router for Christmas in 1980, and he never used it. "I ain't no woodworker,". I also got a half-dozen high speed steel bits in the bargain. I used them once, and then I remembered why I love carbide so much.

Observation 2: Over the years, I've been to hundreds of auctions and thousands of garage sales. (Other than C-Clamps), I have yet to find any decent woodworking clamps, other than some rusty old pipe clamps. I know they sell the hell out of those K-body, but the only thing I can figure is none of them every make it into an estate sale.

James...

Reply to
J&KCopeland

Hands down, my Dremel tool is the most useless POS I've ever used! I've got all the bells and whistles for it, and it still isn't useful for a damn thing except for cutting round holes in ceramic tile with a rotozip bit (poorly, I might add) The sad thing is that this is the second one I've bought. The first one was a cordless model that I sold after a month to some poor sucker who thought it was a neat tool, and then I made the mistake of buying a corded version because I thought it might work better somehow.

Yeah, those suck for wood- but they sure are nice for deburring steel or gouging out hunks of your storm window tracks to wedge in an air-conditioner!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

reconditioned Wagner "power (yeah, right) painter"... tried it for staining a redwood fence, it couldn't even do THAT!

Gift: deluxe wood burning set... right! I'm left handed and never learned to double joint my wrist to write upside down... How the hell could I do wood burning, when even I can't read my handwriting?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

LOL! Those words could have come straight out of my mouth. :)

Reply to
Silvan

That's about the only practical thing I use mine for too. That and turning things that aren't into slotted screws. It's not useless, just mostly useless.

Reply to
Silvan

That's funny. We've been passing around one of those stupid things for years. Dad bought it to do his house, then sold it, then somehow or other he got it back, then sold it again, then got it back, gave it away, got it back again. Then he used it to spray some really thick high tech coating stuff that couldn't be diluted. I got drafted to help with that one. He paid me, but not NEARLY enough to wrestle with that stupid piece of crap.

I wound up finishing the job with hand rollers, and me crawling around like an idiot monkey in the rafters painting this stuff on all the spots I couldn't reach with the long roller (painting the underside of the roof decking), just trying to paint like a son of a bitch so I could get it finished before Dad got the stupid Wagner running again and caused us to spend even longer on the job.

Wow, that sucked. Those things are USELESS.

And hey, speaking of useless, SWMBO's vacuum cleaner is USELESS. I swear I can get the floor clean faster raking the carpet with my bare fingers and putting dog fur and other miscellany in the trash by hand. What a piece of crap. No wonder she never uses it.

Reply to
Silvan

uh-huh.

Vanity. He just doesn't want to admit that he wasn't able to handle the thing any better than you were. :)

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Gino

And another ditto for the Dremel. Working with old machinery you'll find that a machine hasn't been used for quite some time and for quite some time people will store them in "less optimum" places. God bless the Dremel people of Racine, Wis.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

For me my first "table saw" , ryobi direct drive junk, gave it to my son in law and got a decent one. (never really liked him anyway)

Rick

Reply to
RKG

Get the larger (1 1/4") fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels, they work great.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

wrote

(1) I use my Freud biscuit joiner with fair regularity. Haven't tried the

135degree thingy with it that PC advertises, but looks like it should do just fine with the fixed 90deg. fence and the adjustable fence together.

(2)Not all DD saws are screamers. My TS is an early 80's vintage Craftsman DD, but with an induction motor, not a universal(no, it's not one of the flex cable driven ones). I would love to replace it, but that's down the road a ways. With a decent blade & some blade stabilizers it does OK. The stabilizers were the best investment I made for it, because the original pressed steel ones were causing way too much runout.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow