OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 4 of 16
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Sorry that's Electrolux , Kirbys worked pretty good. YMMV. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

My sole sample of one Kirby (that had been donated to our church) didn't exactly impress me. Maybe others were better. However, the pushy salespeoples, that was definitely Kirby. They were one of the reasons for getting an answering machine. They decided that telemarketing was the best way to find marks without having to go to every door. You'd think one call would be enough, apparently they thought that calling monthly might get you to agree to a demonstration. (How many different ways do I have to tell you that "No" means get lost, you're bothering me?)
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Vanity. He just doesn't want to admit that he wasn't able to handle the thing any better than you were. :)
FoggyTown

The roller-hollow-handle type, or the "buzz to make your whole arm numb" type? (got both).

Maybe it does. If you get the paint watered down _just right_ (that v-shaped drip stick vs. time thing), it doesn't suck, but the spray pattern is horrible. Compressed air and a good Binks is the way to go.

I just noticed what that actually says.
Dave

The "buzz to make your whole arm numb" type. I guess I didn't notice that part near as much as the "buzz loud enough to wake the neigbors' dead" noise.

:-)
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mark & Juanita Wrote:

I once had a room mate who had a Wagner Power Sprayer. In addition t the drips, it shocked you every time you pulled the trigger
-- makesawdust

I think too highly of my fellow man to burden someone with bad tools. If someone is fully informed, and knows what they are doing, then, and only then, will I allow them to take/purchase the Searz Routah with AHAF...
That, or I'm too embarrassed to admit that I spent good money on crap. I'm old enough to know better.
Patriarch
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:37:12 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman"

A couple of my friends have been teaching me that lesson. They refer to the tools/etc. I own as "sunk costs". You've already paid it and you'll never get that back. Anything you get for it is money in your pocket, so just DO it! On the shelf, unused, it's worth nothing, as you stated.
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:37:12 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman"

Strangely enough, I'm starting to look at a whole stack of antique hand tools that way. I have been accumulating them from various sources because people know I do woodworking and I just might be able to use grandpa's old chest drill or whatever. Frankly I have no interest in doing woodworking that way - too much of what I do is, of necessity, outcome based. I don't even have a place to display them, so they sit in boxes scattered hither and yon between attic storage, two sheds and the garashop. I don't feel right selling them, but...
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Trade ya a newly refurbished Rotozip tool for them.

Heh, heh. I may not plan on using them, but I *do* know what they are worth.
Just cause I'm dumb doesn't mean I'm a sucker.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

OK, what is it with us people and cutting off cords from stuff when we toss them? Have any of us actually _used_ one of these cords? I also have a rack of hanging cords, the NEMA-standard computer plug type cords, because every time I toss something I keep the cord. Yet, new purchases always come with a new cord. What the hell am I (are we) thinking?

Ah. Thanks, I'll try that the next time I excavate the shop down to where it might be.

Of course not. That Simply Isn't Done. Which explains my shop.
Dave Hinz

You need to get a lathe and make some lamps. :)
Actually I _have_ used a couple of these cords for original electronics projects and repairs, but I've got a shoebox full of them and I made a concious decision last year to stop saving them. Like you said, new things come with them. Like you didn't say, new things these days wear out faster than ever, so there will always be a supply of cords. But it just doesn't feel right to throw away something that's still functional, no matter how useless it might be.
- Owen -

Got one. Two actually, one for wood, one for metal. Need to dig out the russian olive & see if it's ready maybe?

How's that working out for you?

So far so good, but I think it's a lifetime affliction. Just yesterday I put an old 486 laptop in the garbage, one that still runs. That was hard enough. (I've got a "new" replacement freebie laptop.) But the power supply and its cord got wrapped up and put on the shelf for some future electronics project. Sigh...
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence wrote:

LOL! I have eight AT style power supplies. I'm thinking about tossing them, but probably won't.
I finally threw away my EGA card though.

Wait wait! What're ya doing? That's a perfectly good machine. Is it still out there? Can I have the harddrive? How about the screen? Does it have a CDROM drive?

Yup, you're hopeless. Also.
Dave

I sent e-mail to the above address but I suspect it's munged. Change my username to owen (keep the rest of my address) and send me a message if you're serious.
- Owen -

Nope, it's a real address. I subscribe to them as a mail filtering service, and they block 99% or so of the incoming spam (and make reporting the rest of it simple).
Response to the other topic is in your email, thanks.
Dave

SONOFABITCH!!!! Why didn't I think of that? I just *bought* a friggin' lamp cord to make a lamp on the lathe, and I've already got a couple of beheaded extension cords laying around.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam