OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

That's funny -- here's a tip for you from someone who hates to throw anything out. I had it in my hands, on the way to the trash, because mine squealed exactly like yours. Then I thought, "what the hell, it's only 4 screws. The least I can do is see what makes it tick, then cut the cord off if it's nothing obviously wrong. So...it wasn't the bearing. The squealing is caused by the little white finned cooling fan slipping down on the shiny, polished (yeah, good move) shaft, and contacting the plastic housing. I clipped mine completely out, and the tool works fine now. I have no idea what I will EVER use it for, but I did see some kind of cut-off sheel attachment that looked marginally useful....but probably not. But i didn't throw it out.
Not aimed directly at the last poster but just a general observation:
It's amazing how many of us hold onto stuff we'll never (again) use. Many times, the plaintive cry is, "But it's worth more than I can get out of it." Wrong. It's worth exactly NOTHING sitting unused on your shelf. If you sold it to someone, that would accomplish two things: 1) give a disused piece of equipment new life, and 2) put a few bucks in your pocket which you could use to buy wood for a new project.
wrote:

it
using
off
squealing
shiny,
didn't
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:37:12 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman"

3) piss off the guy you sold it to.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Funny thing is, that doesn't always happen. I had one of those Wagner paint drip squirters a number of years ago. I got it to paint the house trim -- the house was mostly brick with a bit of trim and some siding on the chimney and roof eaves. After I figured out that this beast was next to useless -- it either spit paint runs or one had to thin the paint to the consistency of water, but it was noisy -- I decided to get an air compressor and a real paint sprayer. One of my wife's co-workers heard about all the problems I had with this thing and offered to buy it; he was absolutel sure I just didn't know how to use it and that *he* could make it work properly. Not one to shrink away from recovering some of my shrunk costs, especially from an arrogant so-and-so, I jumped at the chance to unload this piece of crap. A while later my wife asked him whether he had a chance to use it yet; he replied, "oh yeah, it works great!" uh-huh.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mark & Juanita wrote:

That's funny. We've been passing around one of those stupid things for years. Dad bought it to do his house, then sold it, then somehow or other he got it back, then sold it again, then got it back, gave it away, got it back again. Then he used it to spray some really thick high tech coating stuff that couldn't be diluted. I got drafted to help with that one. He paid me, but not NEARLY enough to wrestle with that stupid piece of crap.
I wound up finishing the job with hand rollers, and me crawling around like an idiot monkey in the rafters painting this stuff on all the spots I couldn't reach with the long roller (painting the underside of the roof decking), just trying to paint like a son of a bitch so I could get it finished before Dad got the stupid Wagner running again and caused us to spend even longer on the job.
Wow, that sucked. Those things are USELESS.
And hey, speaking of useless, SWMBO's vacuum cleaner is USELESS. I swear I can get the floor clean faster raking the carpet with my bare fingers and putting dog fur and other miscellany in the trash by hand. What a piece of crap. No wonder she never uses it.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:56:29 -0500, Silvan

Have the local Goodwill and Salivation Army stores keep an eye on a Hoover vac for you. It'll be under $50 and they can nearly suck chrome off a doorknob. they're a good investment, and some come with the original $1,200 worth of attachments, like a carpet shampooer, car washer, house painter, etc.
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

A Hoover what? This POS is a Hoover. All Hoovers ain't created equal, evidently.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:05:55 -0500, Silvan

One of the solid metal beasties, Minty Man. Uh, let's see... Like these Kirbys, they were sold door to door for an arm and both legs. http://www.thevacuumcenter.com/kirby-main.shtml Maybe I was thinking of Kirby since I can't seem to find a pic of the vac I was thinking of.
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
Larry Jaques wrote:

equal,
Oooooooooo! I had to buy my (now) ex-wife one of those. SOB salesman must have had his antennae finely tuned that day. Came to the door just as wife and I had a real ding-dong of a bust up. She was headed towards divorce but settled for the Kirby (with sanding attachment, no less). Couple of years later she got the divorce AND the Kirby. God I miss that vac!
FoggyTown
Silvan wrote:

Uh, ya gotta replace the bag every once in a while...
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Did. Even took it apart to make sure it wasn't clogged up with anything. Nope. Fine. It just doesn't suck worth a damn. Complete waste of electricity even bothering to run the stupid, useless thing.
This carpet HAS to come out of here. I HATE carpet.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:47:24 -0500, Silvan

You should be able to get a new Hoover suck-o-lux for less than $100. We did that 5 years ago -- works really well.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:47:24 -0500, Silvan

Carpet is good - you can go much longer between vacuuming than between sweeping bare floor. Carpet should, however, be verboten in kitchens, dining areas, and bathrooms.
I think we have a Hoover. Windtunnel or something like that. Bagless with HEPA filter. Excellent machine and cheap enough that if it dies after 5 years I won't even care. Currently had it for almost 3 years and it sucks just as much as it did when we got it. I do need to replace the main filter, but it is washable and a good wash seems to restore it to virtually new condition. Here in the high desert we get a lot of dust (all volcanic in nature and very harsh) and vacuums tend to die young and painfully. This one is a keeper (and so has probably been discontinued by the company, to be replaces with some total piece of junk that I will hurl off a cliff 2 weeks after buying).
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Is it a tank/canister model? If so, it could be the hose. they wear out, get pin holes and leaks at the fittings.. I just replaced the hose on one of our vacs (Electrolux, $50) and now it sucks like new.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Upright.
Tim Douglass wrote:

I already got rid of the carpet in all of the above places. In the bathrooms, they had carpet over tile with extremely bad grout. Morons.

I looked at vacuum cleaners today, but fooey. I'd rather save the money toward real floors. I figure if it won't lift a Beetle, or a Unisaw, whichever is heavier, it doesn't have enough power to get anything out of these nasty rags anyway. Beige carpet. Two kids, four dogs. Four dogs that lose 470.7 million tons of hair every 13/256 of a second. I should start making felt hats.

Ain't that always the way? Same thing with boots. I really should start buying two pairs of everything whenever I find something that doesn't suck.
cats...
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:45:46 -0800, Larry Jaques

Larry,
    You sure you mean "Hoover" and not "Kirby"? Kirby is the brand that is priced in the $1k + range and had all of those attachments that came with it. Although they were OK vacs, they certainly were not worthy of the price tag and I wouldn't be surprised that a number of them wind up in Goodwill stores. I think the Looney Toons "Suckolux" was modeled after the Kirby claims. They also usually came with a *very* pushy salesman, the kind that gave door to door such a bad name.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Oh yeah, I definitely know that drill. When I was younger and pooer and searching for a way to escape my crappy dead end low wage retail job, I kept running into cleverly disguised attempts to suck people into selling those stupid things. "Air purification system salesmen wanted" and such. I got tricked into going to one of their little love-ins once. They were very careful to avoid saying the word "vacuum cleaner" on the first day. My friend and I did some math and figured out what we had gotten ourselves into, and didn't bother to go back.
Even if such a beast would actually work, I'd never get one at one of those places. People stand around all day waiting on stuff to come through the door, and then there's a stampede. Most stuff like that never gets more than 3' away from the back room doors before five people are cussing each other out over it.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:34:11 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Yeah, I just came to that conclusion myself.

That's them!
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites