OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 15 of 16
Tim Douglass wrote:

Tell me about it! I didn't have a 16 lb. maul, but I did have a wedge and 16 lb. sledge for the big logs that wouldn't split any other way.
I gave that thing to my boss last year, in trade for a computer or something. I can't even swing the damn thing one good time anymore.
I don't feel quite so bad though. We had a neighbor we used to call when we needed to bring some real strength to the table. That guy could split 36" red gum logs in a single swipe all day long. (And we had a LOT of 36" red gum logs that year. Some of which were crotches.)
He just bought one of those wussy hydraulic deals. I guess Father Time is finally kicking him in the ass.
Yup, I'm with Chuck. Bought it, tried it, boxed it, hide it. Couldn't tell you where it is now...
Joe C.

I think anyone who bought a PC 944 detail sander would list it as worthless; though maybe many would not admit to buying it.
It was my first "good" tool and HD had it on closeout at half-price... Live and learn.
I'll fess up. I bought one, haven't found much use for it. My buddy borrowed it and said it was the best thing since sliced bread, Hmmmm. I wonder what he did with it, hahahaha.
Bernie

Patriarch

How much $$ would you sell your whole shopsmith outfit for?
Alex

Contact me on email at gmadsen at comcast dot net.
Shopsmith incident. I donwannatalkaboudit.

C'mon now, it does make a halfway useable lathe and drill press.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

I bought a good drill press for maybe $300. Good used lathes are for sale all the time. But I'm afraid of a good lathe. All the wood turners I know chase tree trimmers, fill their basements with half- turned bowls wrapped in plastic and newspaper, and upgrade to a better, multi-thousand dollar machine every couple of years.
I already am trying to get one addiction under control. There are at least a dozen handtools here, which I haven't used yet. ;-)
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

LOL! Those words could have come straight out of my mouth. :)
Shopsmith incident. I donwannatalkaboudit.

Now I'll 'fess up. My SS is an old(very) 10ER that was my stepfathers, new circa 1950, that was passed around the family a little bit, then I got it. Motor burned out, I replaced it with a freebie from SIL. Basically, I use it as DP, with an occasional foray into a little turning, and once in a while the 12" disc sander.
Buy one? No way!
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
Patriarch wrote:

You're missing the point. You get the lathe, and hang the planes around the edges of the stand. That's why they have those holes near the ends. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

That's pretty much what the Shopsmith is doing now. I need a Oneway for that? ;-)
Patriarch
Porter Cable profile detail sander. I use the profiles by hand and leave the sander in the box.

ranted:

B&D belt sander. This one is over 30 years old and has seen about 3 hours total work in that time. Every time I use it I cuss myself out four using it again because it invariably finds a way, when I'm least suspecting it, to TILT and dig in and mar every piece of face wood it touches, no matter how hard the wood and with 120 grit belts. <sigh>
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

B&D power planer here. I seemed to have a "need" at the time, but now I can't remember what the tool is even for ...
I do occasionally use the Ryobi detail sander. Light use only, please. It's the only Ryobi I own.
Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Is it the 735 3x24 by any chance? I'll be more than happy to pay you for it plus shipping...I have worn two out and can't find anything currently made that I like for balance anyways <near> as much...
Unfortunately, the particular gears that are worn are no longer available to repair mine... :(
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:23:12 -0600, Duane Bozarth

Newp, it's a 7447, a primarily plastic 3x21" beastie. Balance? Bwahahahahah!

Check over on rec.crafts.metalworking. Maybe someone there is bored to tears and will make them for you to fend off the boredom. ;)
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

Rats!!! :) The 735 was the metal casing, motor between the wheels design...unfortunately, the geared drive shaft (which is the rotor) is the weak link in that design as there's a real size problem to get it all to fit in the available space...

Hmmm....thanks for the thought...I'll give it a shot...
<snip>

I thought that was what they were designed to do...
Patriarch