OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 14 of 16
Joe Gorman wrote:

OTOH, my wife uses hers a lot for the refinishing she does and likes it well...
YMMV... :)
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:33:14 -0600, Duane Bozarth

You must be rich, Duane. Media cost for those things has to be $50/day, minimum. Have you seen the new Searz circular thingy? It has a pair (or 3?) of 3/4" washer-sized sanding discs on it. I can't imagine how long they'd last while sanding, but I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that it's sub-1-minute. <g>
(Disclaimer: I was in Searz to return an old broken Crapsman tool which they no longer made. I finally settled on a $15 gift card from them. It took me 3 months to get to the gift card ting and to find something to purchase from them. I settled on a long-sleeve shirt and a philips/flat screwdriver blade.)
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

Haven't seen it, no...we only have a small catalog store here which is mostly appliances, etc., so don't see most of that kind of thingy...thank goodness! :)
Re media cost for the detail sander, I'm not really sure...shouldn't make it sound as though she's a full-time pro, particularly since we're now back on the farm she's busy enough w/ other stuff. She did resell stuff w/ a couple of friends in TN in a small shop and was pretty regular w/ it at the time...but, that was her thing so I never actually bought any media for it myself...
I did use it while painting the house to get into the corners of some window sills where I had to do some repair/patching on...w/ the coarsest pad she had it took the epoxy filler down to a paintable surface fairly quickly w/ less effort than I was expending by hand although still had to finish the very corners w/ the sharp chisel trick...
It's not indispensible nor wonderful, but does have some specialized uses imo...

I'm gonna play the "take back b0rken sockets" game in the next week or so. Someone _gave_ me a 5-gallon pail, half full of "my asshole brother's tools". There are sockets in there that are split, some smushed (how the hell do you smush a socket?), and a ton of duplicates to what I already have, but enough new ones to be nice. I'm not sure what they'll say about the collection of crap, but I'm going to try it.
Anyone heard of a socket exchange, so I can turn these duplicates into sizes I don't have but need?
Dave Hinz wrote:

They don't give a flip about what shape they're in or what caused it (as long as it's Craftsman, not Companion or any of the other names) but afaik they'll only exchange for what you got...
Can't hurt to ask, though, although I'd guess they'll not unless you get somebody who just doesn't care...
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:44:30 -0600, Duane Bozarth

They don't. I took in a tape measure that not only had no numbers left on the first foot and a half, but it was also missing the label and had been inadvertantly been crushed by an opening bandsaw vice. The cashier didn't even blink, just handed me a new one from under the counter.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
When i get a good sized handful of sockets that need replaced I just carry them in and get the ones i want off the shelf. The cashiers normally just count how many I'm returning and how many replacements i have without actually comparing sizes. --dave

Dave Jackson wrote:

You know, come to think of it, I have never had to take a Crafstman socket back. Only screwdrivers and mauls so far.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:34:15 -0500, Silvan

The older ones were awfully good. You really had to work at it to mess one up. The new ones make the guarantee essential.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

I bought these (sockets) in about 1990.

How do you break a maul, exactly? I mean, aren't they _made_ to hit stuff with?
<snip>

The ones _I've_ broken have been when I missed what I was trying to hit. Typically a wedge. How Michael broke his is a matter for speculation.
If you whack the handle just south of the head, say, on the edge of a massive chunk of firewood, physics tends to work against you.
Patriarch

Stings, too!
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Ah, yes, of course. I was thinking the head itself, not the handle. Yup, I've replaced more than a couple handles on BFHs over the years.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Um. Dad used to buy a truckload of logs, cut it to length, and then hand me a maul. I was pretty good at splitting wood, but I missed from time to time. Usually after about the fourth or fifth cord. Miss about five good times, and it's time to go to Sears and get a new maul.
I must have split about 40 or 50 cords of wood with one maul. Which I replaced about 20 times. :) It was easier after I could DRIVE to Sears for a new maul.
Wow, I'm so soft and squishy now.
Silvan wrote:
[snip]

Built for comfort, not for speed.
    :-)     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

I resemble that remark. Though I can pick up some speed when I want to. Had to do the regular general purpose shopping, instead of just the Daddy shopping I usually do (which usually isn't at Wal-Mart anyway.) I got a lot of looks from people powering down the aisle full throttle and skidding on all the corners. Zero collisions. I wanted to get it the hell over with so I could get some shop time on this glorious 65 degree January day.
And I did, too. Finally tried out my scrapers on that little wild grained maple board end. I guess it's probably what you'd call fiddleback grain. Came out purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty when I got done. Wow!

Pix anywhere?

Thanks for _that_ mental image, Jo4hn. By the way, what's with the speeling?
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:05:25 -0500, Silvan

I cut and sold firewood one summer with a friend. Did some 300 cords. It hurts just thinking about it. I doubt I could even *lift* the 16lb maul we used. Oh, to be 18 again!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com