OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 11 of 16
Bill Stock wrote:

Being cheap and/or sloppy is <not> the same as thrifty or frugal...
I'm w/ Chuck on this one...the generation which survived the Depression has a whole different understanding of "need" than current ones. I, for one, am grateful that my grandfather <did> keep so much -- now, while some of it is, in fact, not valuable, other things are fond remembrances. Plus, all the old lumber salvaged from the old chicken coop or other places and stored in the haymow for 60 years or more came in <extremely> handy in the barn restoration. Not easy to find full-dimension 2x stuff anymore...
Dave Hinz wrote:

LOL! I have no idea, but I have a bunch of cords left from the time I had a wiring wardrobe malfunction and put 220V to all my shop lights. Oops. I thought about saving the thin aluminum side panels too.
On this general topic, I'm gutting my closets, cleaning house HARD while SWMBO is away. Haven't looked at it in 15 years? You'll never notice it's missing. You didn't know where it was anyway. I found a shower curtain rod from two places back. I have been saving it because I thought it would be useful again some day. Well, I put a buncha crap on a shelf in my own closet, which I have never really used for anything except my flannel shirts and some dress clothes I haven't worn in yearrrrs. (I own a tie? Why do I own a tie?)
Oh, um. I'm getting sidetracked. Spending seven hours on a perfectly gorgeous shop day cleaning out the damn closets in the house must have done it to me. Sigh. I did get my printer stand glued together, finally. Only the second time I've tried to build anything that's well and truly furniture-like. If I had been wanting it to look better, I would have neatened it up and put a face frame on it, and done a more tidy job with the glue. I *could* have done these things. I may anyway, even though it means stripping the existing finish off the recycled plywood I used and putting a new finish on it. Anyway, it's just simple dado + glue joinery. Multi kerfs with the waste chiseled out by my son. It would have looked better if I had had better control of my new rabbet plane for the top bit, but hell, for something I knocked out in a couple hours (spread out over a dismally long week) it's pretty damn solid. Flat on the floor, square, tight. I guess I do have a little bit of skill after all! It was really too damn big to make in my itty bitty shop though. I'm going to have to move my lathe and a bunch of other stuff if I ever want to rip anything longer than 30" out there. Kinda makes the prospect of building curio cabinets some day seem like something that should come after I build a real shop, in 20 or 30 years. Sigh.
Oh, blah blah blah, what the hell was I rambling about? The closet pole. Anyway, it was supposed to help hold up the shelf I loaded down with my wife's old childhood crap she can't get rid of. It didn't fit, so...
drum roll...
I THREW IT AWAY!
I have about two entire boxes of trash bags out by the curb FULL of stuff.
I have shitloads of closet space right now. Maybe when I'm finished you'll actually be able to walk through my damn house without tripping over anything. My house looks about as bad as my shop. My wife and I both got an F in housekeeping, and the last time we called dial-a-maid, she ran off cackling like a lunatic.
Wow. I have to go drink some beer, smoke a cigar, and maybe go buy a copy of Hustler or something to prove I'm not gay after all this. :)
On this general topic, I'm gutting my closets, cleaning house HARD while

There's a new (to me) show about garage remodels (GT Garage Takeover?). The one I caught the other day the guy had 2 full sized dumpsters worth of crap taken away! They showed his work area in the basement,.. same story..
Not to say I couldn't use a little of that myself....
Silvan wrote:

Umm, I picked up my D&D 21 year old early this evening (about 10:30 pm) for starting fights at a party. He quit listening to his daddy several years ago... <sigh>
The alarms go off at 4:00 am, 3 hours & 40 minutes from now, to take him to the airport to go back to the <yea!> Army...
On his behalf, he's only 1/3rd as messed up as I was at his age.
-- Mark

If you're lucky, and the Army does its part, you'll find that, in about 4 years, the conversations will get a LOT better.
My wife says it's a lot easier to be patient with the kids at this age from hundreds of miles away. Smart woman I married.
Patriarch, who was lucky that, when the cell phone went off at 1 am, it was a wrong number...
Patriarch wrote:

Exactly!
-- Mark
I wish when my cell phone went off at 1 in the morning it was a wrong number. Time to make the doughnuts!!!

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 05:23:48 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

I spend a lot of time praying my kids don't *ever* end up as screwed up as I was growing up. Even 1/3 would suck (as you seem to agree). It was not good growing up during the 60's and 70's.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Oh contraire! It was great growing up in the 60's and 70's. Parents had a helluva lot more control, we prayed in school, we recited the Pledge Of Allegiance, kids had no cell phones, no murders in the schools, hell we used pocket knives to sharpen pencils. 70's in high school, during the hunting months, we came to school with our rifles/shotguns hanging in the gun racks in the back windows of our trucks. Yes, it was good back then. Now it sucks. Having a full time police officer on staff, going through metal detectors, not being able to say the Pledge Of Allegiance. Where exactly do you live???? Come on, what we did back then got our asses tanned by the principal, the by our father when we got home. Now, it's a criminal offense to scold the brats at Wal-Mart???? Crawl out from under the rock Tim.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:50:21 GMT, "Bullwinkle J. Moose"

Let me just say "sex, drugs and rock and roll". On a poll of my graduating class 98% said they used drugs. You could probably count the virgins on one hand. Things were pretty much adrift. Most of the restrictions we have today come from the excess of the 60's and 70's. Sure we carried knives to school - and sometimes used them carve on one another.
Some things may be worse today, but I don't see nearly as much of the life-destroying behavior we embraced so enthusiastically back then. I was, quite frankly, lucky to escape my high school years alive. Some of my classmates weren't that lucky.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

That's annoying, isn't it? Last time I was in the market, I took the job I now have (no kidding) but called the other two places I had interviewed with to thank them for their time, and to let them know I had accepted an offer elsewhere. I didn't know if I was still in the running with them or not, but I figured it was worth a phone call as a courtesy. Apparently not many people do that, because they both acted strange when I did it. Maybe they'd already hired and never bothered to call me, though, hard to say.

I now have the name of the place that will take those monitors, so I'm making progress. I also cleared out (let's see) about six square feet of floor space, including a lot of little items that had accumulated. Found a stack of missing CDs (don't ask) and my snap-ring plier set.

Thing with that, is you have to lose a whole weekend to make a couple hundred bucks if you're lucky, arguing with people who want to pay only four dollars for something worth 20, instead of the 5 it's marked at. eBay sometimes, but I've been known to take stuff to work, put up a notice on the trade board saying "first at my desk to take it can have it" for things that are useful, but not to me.
Dave Hinz wrote:

That's a good way to go. For my last west coast stint, I took along my PC690, my little PC panel saw, and an old B&D VSR drill - and rented an unfurnished apartment. I bought two futon sofas and built all the rest of a normal complement of furnishings using (mostly) SPF from a San Jose lumberyard.
Right before I left I posted a notice on the lab bulletin board announcing a "Grand Opening Going Out of Business Sale" with "No money down same as cash". The next morning I helped two young couples I'd worked with load the works (knocked down) into their SUV and van and watched 'em happily drive it all home. One of the other consultant types hauled away my little impromptu three-legged workbench to use in refurbing his sailboat up on the bay.
Made me wish I'd done that on all the trips before. Felt /good/.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

saw in a flash.

I bought the $19.95 HF clone. I use it every time I do drywall work with a good guidepoint bit. It is, without question, one of the absolutely essential tools for hanging drywall at anything but a casual amateur level. Every professional drywaller I know uses one and I would have killed for such a tool back when I was doing it professionally. The dust is a pretty minor thing when you compare the speed and accuracy issues.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:42:31 -0800, Tim Douglass

Having used both, I still prefer a utility knife and a straightedge when it comes to drywall- even over a drywall saw. Never got the rotozip to do anything but cut rough, curvy lines in my nice clean sheetrock.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:00:33 -0600, Prometheus

The knife and straightedge are for straight cuts across or along the entire sheet. The rotozip with guidepoint bit is for electrical boxes and door or window openings, it will cut a perfect line along the window or door faster than you can run a knife along one side and break it. As for boxes, there is just no comparison both in terms of speed and in precision. A good guy with the rotozip will never have to do any patching around an outlet.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
dp snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net writes:

You are so lucky to have things of your grandfather's. When my grandmother moved out of their home years after my grandfather died, my youngest half-sister sister took everything. That, in itself, wasn't so bad, but when she divorced her first husband, he took most of it. When her second husband divorced her, he took the rest. Now the real irony . . . she has two daughters, I have three sons. Seems to me the great-grandsons would have more use for his tools than great-granddaughters (especially the ones in question). Oh, well.
My solution is to watch for estate sales and pick up what I can. My greatest finds of this past year are an old saw with a carved handle which appears to have the original blade ($5) and a pair of ice tongs ($16). The ice tongs will become a towel holder on my patio. The saw has been used but mostly admired. :-)
Sadly, since I live in town, there aren't that many good estate sales; most don't have tools of any substance.
Glenna
take.out.'takeout'.to.reply writes:

Gee, my first computer was state-of-the-art with dual disk drives. LOL And very, very expensive compared to today's.
Two years later, when I bought the 10MB hard drive and could run more than one program at once, I thought it was heaven!
Now my first flash drive holds 256 MB; the external hard drive . . . won't even go there as I do video work where 5 minutes of raw video uses 1 GB of space. Back in 1982 and 1983, we "home users" could not even begin to imagine a hard drive of more than 800 GB, and that being small. LOL
How time flies, and technology moves forward.
Glenna loving Panther!
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

I still recall driving from Windsor ON to Buffalo NY to look at a hard drive. Hooked up to a Mac Plus, the thing came to life and plopped itself on the desktop, the room gasped. I put my $795.00US down and bought one on the spot. I waited for 3 weeks to get it. It was heaven. . . . . . 5 MB
I still have my first 128K Mac. WITH extra floppy drive. sn 4016. I am NOT going to say what I paid for that (new) should my ex ever read this and explain why she didn't get that swimming-pool that year....(Wringing hands with glee) Yessir.. 128K of whopping RAM (more in my watch now)
I'm happy with Panther also, but with my wife's XPpro on a big Dell... not enough of a difference to matter. The biggest reason why my Mac is still my #1 box, is that all my Filemaker RDBMS stuff and CAD docs are accessed every day. But the days of having the best computer by miles are gone. So I hung my smug face up next to my Fender Telecaster.
This coming April, this box (G3 B&W) will have been on and running for 4 years without a single crash... and I make it jump through hoops. It went down with a couple of power failures (One big one a cpl of summers back) but it righted itself right after the power came back on. Not a virus or a worm...dead solid, flawless performance.
And as far as the wife's XPpro box at work is concerned? They have an IT department that keeps the hospital humming. All is well.
*whispers* (psssst... she finishes her presentations off at home, MS Powerpoint, on her Mac G-4 Powerbook.... and don't tell anybody, but Bill Gates' 'Residential Compound' was designed on Macs...fact.) Hell, if Mary Matlin and James Carville can live together, I can have a PC and a Mac in my house, right?
Okay.. tea is ready...*poof*
snipped-for-privacy@ditto.org writes:

It does seem odd now, doesn't it? $20 bucks a disk.
I wish there were someplace for me to sell the 8-inch floppies I have here, a full box of them, and I'm talking storage box, probably 100+ disks in it. I'll likely wind up cutting them in half and dumping them (they have data from another secretarial service bureau obtained in a sale from her to me). It'd be great to be able to wipe the disks and sell them, or even give them away. I'm a horrible recycler and don't like tossing things that can be used, especially if they fall under serious pollutant standards.
Of course I have hundreds of 5-1/4s from my own business and many, many dozens of 3-1/2s. Now, it's stacks of CDs. How times change.<g>
Glenna starting on DVDs for storage now