OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 2 of 16
<snip>

My brother-in-law did that 'accidentally' to a juniper hedge.
We're big on juniper abatement in our family. ;-)
Patriarch

I have a Dremel with a flexi-shaft (think 'speedometer cable in a sheath'), and that sucker can get in to _very_ tight places. I use it maybe once a year, but when I need it, there's nothing else that will work.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Oh yeah, that goes without saying, doesn't it? These things are absolutely useless without one of those flex shaft flummies. In fact, until you brought it up just now, I had forgotten it used to not have one. Wow. :)
I think a dedicated flex shaft tool would probably be a better investment if I ever manage to use this thing enough to kill it though.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:51:08 -0500, Silvan

I've got both a Foredom flex shaft and a Dremel and I use them both. They're both good on the right jobs.
I even like the router attachment for some things.
Of course I do both wood and metal, as well as some lapidary.
If you like the Dremel flex-shaft, you'll _love_ the Foredom.
--RC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:08:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com

I'll keep that in mind if the Dremel shaft goes. It's making some noises, but has been for years, so....

I had a Dremel go up in flames in my hands when I tried to use it as a dry wall cut out tool with a 1/8" down spiral bit.... Now that was interesting. ;-)
John

Get the larger (1 1/4") fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels, they work great.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

I love those. But they are costly little suckers as well. I bought 3 kits boxed in nice wood cases just to get the 8 cutoff wheels in each. The 80 piece kit was cheaper than buying the 8 disks alone.

True, but a set of 3 will outlast a whole "tube" of the brittle abrasive-only ones.

I agree. Those brittle bastards aren't worth the time to attach them to shaft. I never use them except for detailing the copper and brass bits and pieces I use in my box making.
Someone told me using two at a time works better but I've never tried it.

Yeah, and those brittle ones are loads of fun when they decide to fly apart. Safety glasses are definitely mandatory.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Gino wrote:

They make a "heavy duty" flavor that works much better. The expensive reinforced deals are much better still, but they cut a wide kerf. The regular thin ones seem likely to break if you fart out the wrong side of your pants.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

If you like those, you might also like the diamond grit metal cutoff wheels.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Be careful with these. Dremel used to make their own metal cutoffs and micro saw blade attatchments, but stopped making them due to liability. They can only be found via third party manufacturers, hobby shops tend to have huge assortments of dremel accessories. Though I think I did see an official dremel saw blade attatchment that came out recently, but it was really small.

Dremel has a neat little saw blade attachment that has a slight ~15 bend in it so the motor portion is up away from the surface. Little pricey though.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

That just ain't right. Exhaust systems are supposed to be taken off with a combination of cutting torches and 4 inch grinders. It says so right in the Bible. You are wrong Gino, just plane wrong...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
WoodchuckCanuck wrote:

in the battery for more than a few minutes and then it seems to take hours to recharge. Bought a cheapo Harbor Freight corded thingy so I could at least use the bits.     whine,     jo4hn

Typical with NiCd batteries. If you have a Batteries Plus store near-ish you, they might be able to fix and/or replace those cells.
Dave Hinz
A rotozip tool. How can they even sell one? Why did I buy one? I thought I could use it to rough out some sheetrock electrical socket holes, but it was pretty crappy.

Oh yeah, got one of those too. Also as a gift. Also from SWMBO... I used it to cut some round cuts on tile (toilet flange), and the tile got into the front bearing and it squeals like a pig now. Odd that using a tool in a manner shown on the box would ruin it.
I hate tools that are broken by design. And don't even get me started about Christmas presents that are so poorly designed or made that they're broken out of the box. (DISNEY, I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU PEOPLE).
Dave "Ahem. Sorry." Hinz