OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 1 of 16
And now in a burst of refreshing honesty we're all going to admit to the most useless, waste-of-money, unnecessary, white elephant, "why the hell did I ever buy that" tool in our arsenal.
For me it's a B&D "electric file" - basically a needle-nose belt sander. It's a something that should be handy as hell but it's just too damned vicious. Touch it to a piece of wood and you have instant "shit - too much". I've never been able to get anything done with it. Next?
FoggyTown "Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

Mastercraft Rotozip kit. Gift. $150 CDN and the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. Even the power cord is made out of such hard wire you can't even stretch it out in warm weather. Nothing can be squared, the plunge router attachment is a complete joke.
Complete crap.

The Original Freud Hot-Air Edge Bander. I salvaged the hot air gun from it, and use it often , but the rest of it went with the trash. Truly one of those tools that should work, and sporadically did work, but was no time saver compared to a regular iron. Just one major source of frustration, to the point I 'repaired' it one day with some excess energy and my lunch bucket ended up flying through the shop as a punctuation mark. I was told, several hours later, when the rest of the crew dared to come close enough to me again, that I had uttered previously unknown words as I was 'adjusting' the tool with a 5 pound ball-peen hammer. It was very irresponsible and immature behaviour, but dammit, it felt great.
I made the same purchase. It was a waste of money but I don't think it was quite as bad as you do.

Huh? What? Who?
I was replying to Gino. Sorry for the confusion.
Dremel and all its accessories...especially the...cough cough..."router table".
Jim

I couldn't live without a Dremel. I even used it to remove the exhaust system from my 3/4 ton pickup.:) Router attachment is cool, especially for installing hinges in almost anything. I've never seen the router table.
Gino wrote:

How many cutoff wheels did YOU go through? :)
The Dremel almost made it onto my list, but it's a useful tool. Just not as useful as it sounds on the box. Sure, you can do all kinds of things with it if you're verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry patient. Sometimes it is just the ticket, but I've never used probably half of the bits I have. Maybe 3/4. The wood cutting carving shaping stuff is especially useless. I can carve wood faster with a pair of tweezers.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:09:48 -0500, Silvan wrote:

It saved me on a plumbing problem. Had to replace several toilet shutoff valves and the gorilla who installed the originals crimped the compression rings into the copper pipe so deep they wouldn't slide off, even with some knarley pliers. The problem was the new valves and old valves had different threads, so I couldn't use the old nut on the new valve. The nifty dremel cutoff wheel ground almost all the way through the compression ring and a little twist with a flat blade screwdriver popped it right off. Whew, success!
- Doug

Doug Winterburn wrote:

That's about the only practical thing I use mine for too. That and turning things that aren't into slotted screws. It's not useless, just mostly useless.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:44:00 -0500, Silvan

I use the different size drum sanders often enough to keep my dremel/sears "lil crafty" hanging over the bench.. nice when you want a hole or opening just a bit bigger or need to debur something..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Gino

Doug Winterburn

And another ditto for the Dremel. Working with old machinery you'll find that a machine hasn't been used for quite some time and for quite some time people will store them in "less optimum" places. God bless the Dremel people of Racine, Wis.
UA100

For about the same price, I bought a DeWalt low angle grinder and a diamond cutting wheel. You can cut a lot of stuff with that rig, and very quickly.
Dremel stuff is too light duty for my Binford tastes.
Patriarch

But the Dremel is tiny. It was the only tool that I had that could do the job.

diamond
quickly.
Sigh..... this one's going to take a while. Gino... listen to me. I know these things. Torches. Torches, Gino. They look really cool when they're parked over in the corner, and you don't have to worry about tiny spaces. With torches you can make spaces big enough to comfortably work in.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

My SO doesn't allow me to play with fire since the time I lit up the neighbors fence while killing weeds with a tiger torch.<g>

neighbors
SNORT!
I finished the back yard, hit a weed near the gate as I went to work out front. Finished the front and went back to find the gate in flames. Garden hose wouldn't reach that side of the house, but had plento 5 gal buckets laying about. The chipboard used to patch the gate was very hard to put out.
Some time later I was doing isolated weeds in the gravel when someone shouted 'Hey, you can't do that in the city'. Was a fireman peeking over the fence.

Heh! I blew a four pound extinguisher on my fire. You would think the neighbor would offer to pay for the refill...it was his fence.<g>
Gino wrote:

Yeah, the NERVE of some people!