Ok whats the trick to this one

Found this ebay auction for a brain teaser double dovetail. Has anyone even seen this before?
Please copy and paste or look for ebay auction 6999229419
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemi99229419&ru=http%3A%2F%2F search.ebay.com%3A80%2Fws%2Fsearch%2FSaleSearch%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26satitle %3D6999229419%2509%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC5%26amp%253Bsspagename %3Dh%253Ah%253Aadvsearch%253AUS%26from%3DR7%26nojspr%3Dy%26 pfid%3D0%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26fcl%3D3%26frpp%3D50%26fvi%3D1

works with only 'period' tools and does everything by hand (can't think of the show's name). He made one in a past episode although not as pretty as this one.
Pete
snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote:

Dave
IIRC -- the surgeon was the kids mom! ;-)

I thought it was the kid's father? Oh wait, it was Roy Underhill's trick on The Woodwright's Shop.
John

It's been posted before, previously there wasn't the "window" in the tails. My best guess is the light colored piece is not solid in the joint. There's just a thin strip at the top which would allow it to flex enough to slip over the tails.
The addition of the window would appear to disprove this, but the piece in the window isn't necessarily connected to the rest of it.
-Leuf
@dontemailme.com says...

Sorry- no strips, no fancy key things, just basic jointery and a little bit of chemistry, biology, and physics.
I've got a couple in process, but am having a bit of trouble with lack of proper tools to make the handcut dovetails.
e-mail me offline for the answer if you really want it <vbg>
--

------- >
Pull the _PLUG_ to email

Just found out today that my munged email address was over-munged and I forgot a letter in the darn thing. It has been repaired. Apologies to any who attempted to email me for the solution and got a bounce. Mea maxima culpa.
Working on building a couple of these, will have some pics maybe by Sunday night.
Sorry again about the bad address, vic
--

------- >
Pull the _PLUG_ to email
bdeditch wrote:

This is a better way to post URL's:
<URL:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemi99229419&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2F%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D6999229419%26fvi%3D1
JES
JES wrote:

<URL:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemi99229419&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2F%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D6999229419%26fvi%3D1
or even:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemi99229419
since all you need is the item number.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

Now I'm just showing off, but here's an even shorter way to post links:
http://tinyurl.com/ex74q
:)
Kevin.
Kevin wrote:

Some of us won't (for fear of goatsecx) click on those thingies.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

The point was that the foolproof way to post URL's is to add <URL......> around the link. JES

If you want to point to a specific item on eBay, this is even better:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemi99229419
IOW... Locate the first "&" after "&item=", and remove it and everything following.
--
Regards,

Doesn't even seem to be a mystery to me, look at the second and third pictures, you can plainly see the seams where the wood was glued together.
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Pretty sure that's just the grain. It doesn't say it this time but the last time it came up the auction stated 2 pieces and no hidden splits.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemi76867662
I guess it did have the windows then too, they looked like a peg going through with the quality of the pics.
Google archive of the group's responses from last time:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/24644820ec4bb96e /
-Leuf