Ok whats the trick to this one

Found this ebay auction for a brain teaser double dovetail. Has anyone even seen this before?

Please copy and paste or look for ebay auction 6999229419

bdeditch

There's a show on Saturday TV with a redhead guy (Roy Underhill) who works with only 'period' tools and does everything by hand (can't think of the show's name). He made one in a past episode although not as pretty as this one.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

IIRC -- the surgeon was the kids mom! ;-)

Reply to
DAC

I thought it was the kid's father? Oh wait, it was Roy Underhill's trick on The Woodwright's Shop.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

It's been posted before, previously there wasn't the "window" in the tails. My best guess is the light colored piece is not solid in the joint. There's just a thin strip at the top which would allow it to flex enough to slip over the tails.

The addition of the window would appear to disprove this, but the piece in the window isn't necessarily connected to the rest of it.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

The Woodwright Shop

Dave

Reply to
David

This is a better way to post URL's:

JES

Reply to
JES

Sorry- no strips, no fancy key things, just basic jointery and a little bit of chemistry, biology, and physics.

I've got a couple in process, but am having a bit of trouble with lack of proper tools to make the handcut dovetails.

e-mail me offline for the answer if you really want it

Reply to
VRadin

or even:

all you need is the item number.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Kevin

Doesn't even seem to be a mystery to me, look at the second and third pictures, you can plainly see the seams where the wood was glued together.

Reply to
AAvK

Pretty sure that's just the grain. It doesn't say it this time but the last time it came up the auction stated 2 pieces and no hidden splits.

guess it did have the windows then too, they looked like a peg going through with the quality of the pics.

Google archive of the group's responses from last time:

Leuf

Just found out today that my munged email address was over-munged and I forgot a letter in the darn thing. It has been repaired. Apologies to any who attempted to email me for the solution and got a bounce. Mea maxima culpa.

Working on building a couple of these, will have some pics maybe by Sunday night.

Sorry again about the bad address, vic

Reply to
VRadin

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

The point was that the foolproof way to post URL's is to add around the link.

JES

Reply to
JES

If you want to point to a specific item on eBay, this is even better:

Locate the first "&" after "&item=", and remove it and everything following.

Reply to
Doug Miller