Ok--the old guys were right about sharpening

Figure 8's are just dandy. Some guys will claim that that pulls the burr under and knocks it off so lapping the back isn't as important, but I couldn't say if that is true or not. Whatever works for you.

Reply to
Prometheus

Don't use 3-in-1

  • It oxidises and goes gummy
  • It costs a fortune!

Honing oil needs to be used in generous (or at least adequate) quantities. A couple of drops from a dropper bottle of 3-in-1 really aren't the thing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A URL someone posted yesterday suggested a W pattern. He said figure 8's are too hard to keep perfectly square.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Prometheus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Serious, I asked because I didn't know.

Thanks for the information. I may try sharpening a chisel or two again this weekend.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Ok. Sounded like it could have been sort of mocking- but since it wasn't, I'm glad I answered.

No problem- and good luck!

Reply to
Prometheus