OK, So I need a table saw

Thanks guys for all the great posts over the past year or so that I have mostly been lurking. I moved last weekend and I finally have the room for a real table saw. My current saw is a 1950s Craftsman table top model (It weighs over 200 lbs!). It has a smallish top and vibrates like heck, the belt slips, I have to reach across the blade to reach the switch. Its generally a mess.

Don't worry - I am not going to ask "What is a good table saw?". I have pretty much settled on the Grizzly 1023???. I will have to do a little more figuring before I decide on the exact model.

So, my new garashop.

Must view this in proportional font (Courier).

|-------| | | | 5'8" | | X | | 13'9" | |SS | |--------DD-----|SS D | D | | | | | | | 19'8"X19'5" | | | | | | | _----GD----_-----GD----_|

do not want to setup in the main part of the garage permanently. The 1023 will of course need to be on a mobile base and roll into the niche in the back of the garage. I marked the ASCII drawing with where I think the saw would live most of the time.

My questions have to do with clearances, etc.

Will the 1023 be too massive for my small area or massively cool?

Will I be able to use the saw in the niche when working on small projects or is it too tight?

Any opinions as to left or right tilt given I'm right handed and the layout above?

Any Must have options? Motor cover, yes. Mobile base, yes. FWWII, Yes. Fence TBD, Extension table? 220, yes.

Thanks all for your wisdom.

Reply to
Brikp

Well, I'll second your idea. I have owned a 1023S for about two years and have never regretted my decision. The "s" is the original right tilt blade model and I did have some apprehension since my vintage craftsman was a left tilter. Griz had just introduced the left tilt version but I really didn't want to be at the front of the line for a new product.

From what I hear the left tilt version is doing just fine. After using my right tilt'er for a few days I forgot about the difference. I strongly recommend ordering with the optional dust cover and a mobile base. Mine is a 3hp version and does just fine with heavy hardwoods. If I was going to gripe about anything, the blade guard is kinda cheesy but that is true of most off-self saws.

As with most of these heavy machines put the saw on the mobile base before you do any assembly - the wings alone add 50 or more pounds. We simply used wire to tie the shipping pallet to the assembled mobile base and rocked the saw off of the pallet onto the base - my wife and I could do this in a matter of minutes. Then I finished assembly.

Also stick with the Shop Fox Classic fence. This is the Beismeier look alike with the white nylon-looking sides. This version did quiet well against the Beis in a recent Wood magazine review of fences. In fact their main downer was the ShopFox aftermarket cost was more than the Beis. Grizzly also offers a version with the Shop Fox "original" or "precision" fence ("1023Z I believe) and I would steer away from it. I had an opportunity to play with one at the Springfield store and it is as smooth as glass, BUT it contains several moving parts (wheels, bushings, etc.) I have seen some comments regarding maintenance and even clearances. I mentioned this to a sales person at the store and he just said "...mine has the Classic fence!"

I cannot say I have had good or bad luck with Grizzly product support since I have not needed any. I ordered my machine via internet one evening (about

11:00pm) and the local truck firm called 36 hours later for pickup (we live about 300 mi from the springfield store).

I suspect you know Griz has most of their saws and other products on sale until Sept. 1. Less advertised is that they have warned of a general price increase by the end of the year, because of the rising steel costs. More reasons to buy now (good advertising for the SWMBO)!

Next step is the G0500 Jointer.

> I do not want to setup in the main part of the garage permanently. The 1023

Reply to
RonB

Sorry, I didn't see the bottom of your message (below the link). I think I hit on most of your concerns except massiveness. It is massively cool - don't worry about the anything else regarding the saw itself. The 1023s really doesn't occupy much more floor than my old Craftsman. For that matter it occupies less fore/aft space since the motor isn't hanging off of the back of the machine. Its mass comes from lots of iron in the trunnions and table.

The rails are longer and do occupy more space than my Craftsman but if you are thinking extensions, this probably isn't a big factor. As far as the extension table goes, you'll have to fit it into your area. I would love to have one but it didn't fit my garage shop plan.

FWWII - huh?

Also, plan on spending extra on your power cord. I set mine in the middle of a 3rd garage stall with plans to roll it around as needed. 23' of heavy power cord and a 220 plug set me back $30-40. I was already wired for 200.

RonB

Brikp

By the way - Thanks for your reply!

Brikp